Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

High idle, hesitation 2009 base ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020 | 01:28 PM
Lipofskyphoto
|
2nd Gear
High idle, hesitation 2009 base ??

2009 Mini Base. My idle is normal until the car warms up, then its high and can be erratic. Some hesitation upon acceleration from start. Other than that driveability is very good as is mileage.
It can run a touch rough when cold.

I occasionally get get a P115D MAF code and a P2187 Lean code, but not always and can go a long time without a code.

I've cleaned the MAF sensor and checked for vacuum leaks. I suppose it could be a faulty MAF, but this is a common problem and I read that replacing the MAF seldom helps.

No offense, but throwing out random suggestions would not be helpful.

Here are my Torque readings. Can any of you tell me if any of them are off? (The woman with the horse in the upper right is unlikely to be the problem).
Any other readings that might help diagnose?

Thanks very much!

Old 03-07-2021 | 05:47 PM
sidewaysmini
Neutral
Hi .. Did you ever get to fixing this issue? I have a 2010 clubman (non - S). Tried new MAF, new PCV membrane, new PCV hose, new oil cap. Still getting the dreaded p115d with similar symptoms you have listed above. The new MAF seems to be reading well when I check live data on the code reader. Please suggest if any fix worked in your case, thank you!

Old 03-12-2021 | 07:02 AM
Lipofskyphoto
|
2nd Gear
If I remember correctly, the car would not idle properly and would eventually throw am code.

I did two things that seemed to have fixed the problem (no codes and smooth idle ever since). I replaced the MAF sensor with one from a parts yard, even though I wasn't always getting MAF codes. I thought that the PCV might have been leaking and admitting outside air, so I ran silicone seal around the gap around the PCV between the PCV and the valve cover.

Sounds like you have Torque pro. Just a guess, but have you looked at the real time values of the O2 sensors?

I sympathize. It can be frustrating.

Old 03-13-2021 | 08:57 AM
sidewaysmini
Neutral
Originally Posted by Lipofskyphoto
If I remember correctly, the car would not idle properly and would eventually throw am code.

I did two things that seemed to have fixed the problem (no codes and smooth idle ever since). I replaced the MAF sensor with one from a parts yard, even though I wasn't always getting MAF codes. I thought that the PCV might have been leaking and admitting outside air, so I ran silicone seal around the gap around the PCV between the PCV and the valve cover.

Sounds like you have Torque pro. Just a guess, but have you looked at the real time values of the O2 sensors?

I sympathize. It can be frustrating.
Thank you!! So far I have done -
  1. new PCV diaphragm kit
  2. new PCV hose
  3. new throttle body (VDO brand)
  4. new maf sensor (Bosch)
  5. removed intake manifold - put new gaskets for intake manifold and throttle body
  6. new oil cap
Still getting the same P115d error and issues only during idling. Idles very rough and some times turns off. while at idle the short term fuel readings go really negative and at higher rpms everything is normal. There is definitely a vaccum issue but I am not able to figure out where.

Old 03-15-2021 | 06:58 AM
Lipofskyphoto
|
2nd Gear
Testing for vacuum leak

Someone on the internet had an interesting suggestion for testing for vacuum leak.

You'll often hear about spring starter fluid in different areas until you find the engine increases in speed and you have therefore found your vacuum leak. This can present something of a fire danger.

This guy suggested using propane, like from a BernzOmatic torch that is not ignited. You open the valve a bit and pass the unlit tip over areas where you might suspect a vacuum leak. Engine RPMs will increase if you find one.

This guy contends that if the propane did ignite, it would result in a harmless flash. I suppose you may want to think about how attached you are to your eyebrows, but I did try it with no mishap.

Old 03-16-2021 | 10:24 AM
sidewaysmini
Neutral
Originally Posted by Lipofskyphoto
Someone on the internet had an interesting suggestion for testing for vacuum leak.

You'll often hear about spring starter fluid in different areas until you find the engine increases in speed and you have therefore found your vacuum leak. This can present something of a fire danger.

This guy suggested using propane, like from a BernzOmatic torch that is not ignited. You open the valve a bit and pass the unlit tip over areas where you might suspect a vacuum leak. Engine RPMs will increase if you find one.

This guy contends that if the propane did ignite, it would result in a harmless flash. I suppose you may want to think about how attached you are to your eyebrows, but I did try it with no mishap.
Interesting.. I ordered new parts again.. if that fails and if i get really desperate, i may try this.. thank you :D