Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

HELP!! Brake lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 11:36 AM
Big&Mini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!! Brake lights not working

HELP please - I don't want to be rear -ended.....

Yesterday at lunch some co-workers noticed that I had no brake lights.

My Third Brake light works

I had the fog light mod in place until this morning - took it out to see if it would chage anything.

I can't find the right fuse to check...
What else should I look into...

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-18-2004, 12:10 PM
lotsie
Banned
Could be a fuse,there is a fuse box under the bonnet in front of the drivers side,plus one in the cabin,look up in the manual where the one for the brake lights are.
When my car was about a week old,the right brake light was not working,when I called the dealer they said they would replace the bulb for free,even thought bulbs are wear items,and not covered by warrenty.But because the car was brand new,they said it should last longer than a week.
When I took the car in,they tested the bulb,it was ok.but the brake computer was not sending a signal to that bulb,so they swapped out the computer for a new one.No problems since.

Old 12-20-2004, 10:21 PM
Big&Mini
1st Gear
fixed...

Well - I spent a few hours in the new waiting room of Hendrick Mini in Charlotte NC today and got the brake lights working.

They had to replace the module that controls all the electrical functions of the car - isn't that nice.

I also had the ECU flashed to 39.x and the car is running great again.

Old 12-21-2004, 06:45 AM
Jdewey
4th Gear
Brake light / fog light / BCM failure

When you do the traditional "brake light modification" that makes the fog lights into additional brake lights, you are placing TWICE the normal load on the left and right brake light switching transistors in the body control module. If one of the jumpers comes loose, you may be placing Three times the load on one side.

LED 1156 bulbs draw only 10% as much power as the 21 watt 1156 that is in the fog light socket. This means the modification would put only 110% of normal load on the transistor. I got 1156 LED at a local autostore for $19 for the pair. I have also purchased them by mail on Ebay for $10 a pair including shipping. I also placed the jumper in a way that it can not come loose.

JD

Old 12-21-2004, 07:02 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, excellent information

[QUOTE=Jdewey]When you do the traditional "brake light modification" that makes the fog lights into additional brake lights, you are placing TWICE the normal load on the left and right brake light switching transistors in the body control module. If one of the jumpers comes loose, you may be placing Three times the load on one side.

LED 1156 bulbs draw only 10% as much power as the 21 watt 1156 that is in the fog light socket. This means the modification would put only 110% of normal load on the transistor. I got 1156 LED at a local autostore for $19 for the pair. I have also purchased them by mail on Ebay for $10 a pair including shipping. I also placed the jumper in a way that it can not come loose.

Jdewey, do you have a link?

Old 12-21-2004, 07:50 AM
minichrist
2nd Gear
http://www.superbrightleds.com/

I've never bought from these guys, but I'm thinking 'bout it. I've had the tail light mod for over a year without any problems, but Jdewey's comments have got me thinkin.