Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

MIL on time at startup

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 02:00 PM
minniedryver
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MIL on time at startup

My 2005 MCS failed a state inspection the other day for "KOER" ...apparently Key On Engine Running. The MIL goes out after 3 - 4 seconds (has been like this since I've owned it - 2 years) of the engine running and there are no codes stored or pending. I'm wondering if the state OBD computer is looking for a quicker MIL off time after engine start as my VW CC MIL turns off in about a second.

Basically just looking for confirmation that a 3 - 4 second delay is "normal" for an R53? If anyone is willing to count "Mississippis" while watching the MIL go from on to off between the key on position and engine start I'd greatly appreciate it!

On a side note, the guy at the testing station asked if I had replaced the battery recently. I have not, but did have it disconnected while doing some work on the car last month. He failed to point out the KOER on the inspection form, but told me the battery disconnect was likely the reason for failure, and that I would have to drive for an hour or so to set the OBD system to "ready". I found the KOER failure on the report and can't imagine that completing a "drive cycle" or 3 would have any effect on a KOER failure.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-27-2020, 12:08 PM
minniedryver
2nd Gear
Local MINI dealer confirmed that 3 - 4 seconds of MIL on time at startup is fine and just the ecm doing self checks. I also checked with a local indi shop with tons of MINI experience and he confirmed the same thing.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:02 PM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Received 135 Likes on 120 Posts
Mine does this as well. Sounds normal

Old 04-29-2020, 02:15 AM
minniedryver
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ssoliman
Mine does this as well. Sounds normal
Thank you for the input...it is greatly appreciated!

Old 04-30-2020, 11:55 AM
David Baker
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Get a good OBD scanner like Blue Driver. You can do a smog check and it'll tell you if the computer is ready or not and if it isn't ready, what components are causing it to no be ready. My R50 was in a not ready state for a couple of months until I figured out it was the purge valve that had gone bad. Swapped it out and it went ready on the next startup.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:18 PM
minniedryver
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by David Baker
Get a good OBD scanner like Blue Driver. You can do a smog check and it'll tell you if the computer is ready or not and if it isn't ready, what components are causing it to no be ready. My R50 was in a not ready state for a couple of months until I figured out it was the purge valve that had gone bad. Swapped it out and it went ready on the next startup.
Thank you for responding.
It turns out all monitored OBD flags were signalling ready...confirmed at home with my scanner. The only issue was that the guy doing the test apparently failed the car because the MIL didn't turn off instantly when the engine started. When I took it back for the re-test yesterday and explained my findings and concern that the tech. should perhaps be a bit more patient...well it miraculously passed.

The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (05-02-2020)