Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

07 Mini Cooper won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 04:03 PM
Adam Westbrook
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 Mini Cooper won’t start

I have 07 Mini Cooper s turbocharged and It cranks but doesn’t start I check for spark I have spark I tried starting fluid still won’t start I have two codes p0190 p0697 and I I check the connections and there fine and then went to the fuel pump in yank and when I turn it on I hear no whining sound nothing but if I try to crank it then turn it off wait a min a hear a motor winning in the back where the fuel tank isi check the voltage going to the pump and it only reads 2 volts when I turn the car on and try to crank it I also checked fuses and relay and they work. Please help I’m running out of options and I don’t wanna drag it to the dealer of yo

Old 05-07-2020, 09:29 AM
Jay Bacon
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
A quick thing to is if after you try and start pull a plug, if it doesn't fire see if there is the smell of gas on the plug.... This will tell you if your getting fuel, you have already confirmed spark... you need Spark, Fuel, Air and Timing... Timing I doubt is your issue, sounds like fuel at this time... so start with the sniff test! or if you have inspection camera pull a plug and try and start the car and see if fuel is sprayed into the chamber. If nothing its time to go to the sensor.

P0190 = https://www.obd-codes.com/p0190
Curtesy of minimania

P0190 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor 'A' Circuit

P0697 = https://www.obd-codes.com/p0697
Couldn't find this code on Minimania.

Based on these two codes i would start with fuel rail pressure sensor "A" circuit
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm guide found here.

I'm not a mini expert by any means but have tinkered with mine a bit. Some of the folks here will have more suggestions. But your codes lead towards the pressure sensor, reading the P0967 code description seems as though it is a subsequent code to the primary one. (obviously your dealer will have a special diagnostics tool and can find out alot more detail surrounding exactly what is wrong.)

Amazon Amazon
Confirm your part number match but this is something that it should look like.

Last edited by Jay Bacon; 05-07-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:40 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
If the starting fluid didn't make the car start despite having spark, I would do a compression test.

what is the back story of how you got to this point? was it purchased like that, or what is the scenario?

Old 05-07-2020, 11:02 AM
Jay Bacon
2nd Gear
Mini is 100% right, about the start fluid. I missed that in your original post.

Old 05-09-2020, 02:48 PM
Adam Westbrook
Neutral
I bought the Mini Cooper running and blew a resistor on the fan and it over heated it and the thermostat melted and plastic got all in the block and head so I took the whole ending out put a new thermostat and sensor and got the head hot bathed and resurfaced and I put new valve seats in it and lapped all the valve(valves were cleaned too) and I put it all together and I did a compression test before I put the engine in and it rear fine I don’t remember the number but I looked up the specs for that when I did it but I don’t smell any gas on the spark plugs and I also took the feed line off and tried starting it and no gas came out and I did unplug the ecu when I took the engine out I don’t know if the tripped the fuel cut off switch. But Ik for a fact I didn’t have a fuel problem when parked the car to work on it

Old 05-09-2020, 02:49 PM
Adam Westbrook
Neutral
Thank you for the help I’m new to the forum thing

Old 05-26-2020, 05:10 PM
Jay Bacon
2nd Gear
Odd, I did a Timing job, then ended up having to replace my DME, and now I'm faced with the same codes you have.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...placement.html

Fun.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:01 PM
aowolf
Neutral
I have the same two codes, mine starts but the throttle pedal isn’t working. Did you ever resolve this?

Old 07-04-2021, 11:54 AM
Gennie
Neutral
How did you replace your DME? I am working on replacing my DME as well.
The process I am working on is to find the compatible computer program that would
retrieve the ISN from the DME and sync it with the CAS and the key.
I wonder if there is any recommended program...

Old 07-04-2021, 12:07 PM
Jay Bacon
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gennie
How did you replace your DME? I am working on replacing my DME as well.
The process I am working on is to find the compatible computer program that would
retrieve the ISN from the DME and sync it with the CAS and the key.
I wonder if there is any recommended program...
I did a big write up on it, but am on my phone so cant like it, look back at my hot topics and you should find it easily.

I ended up sending the new(used) dme, my cas and key to a guy in the stated who took care of it all for me! Then it was plug and play!

The following users liked this post:
Gennie (07-04-2021)
Old 07-04-2021, 12:30 PM
Gennie
Neutral
I saw that option of finding online website and send it to the computer person for reprogramming.
I managed to take out my dashboard and unplug the CAS but I was not able to go through the payment process online
called the company and they have not replied ever since...