Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 08:25 PM
Mikey8629
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know how much horsepower a cold air intake system and/or exhaust system would add to the Mini Cooper S? I would really like some specs before I invest any money in uprgrades. Thanks!

Old 06-23-2002, 09:03 PM
HighAnxiety
4th Gear
Here is what I've heard about mods...

HP increase for cold air intake system anywhere from 4-6 HP and for exhaust system anywhere from 2 - 6 HP.

Check out these sites:

MossMotors.com
GotMINI.com
MiniMania.com

Old 06-23-2002, 09:53 PM
cdrober
2nd Gear
If you do buy these upgrades and install them yourself what does that do to the Factory Warranty?

Old 06-23-2002, 09:56 PM
HighAnxiety
4th Gear
I would check with your MINI dealer on this... but from what I've heard it will void your warranty.

Old 06-23-2002, 10:19 PM
acetonic
4th Gear
I've also heard that without a new computer chip, these mods will add 0 hp.

Old 06-23-2002, 10:47 PM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
Re: Void of warranty.......
Owning a Honda Prelude and reading through thousands of posts.... I've seen this topic come up before. From what I understand, the company has to prove that the moddified part was the reason for the problem.

Therefore if you have an aftermarket exhaust system installed and your AC quits working..... It should still be covered under warranty.

Now if they can prove (which they will likely try to do) that the mod was the reason for the falt...... then they do not have to cover the item.

SW

Old 06-24-2002, 02:11 AM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Being a modifying man myself, I can vouch for what Sfiveten just stated. I've had such dealings with prior vehicles in the past. They have to prove the the problem with the vehicle is a direct result of the modification. A lot of dealers try to blow smoke at you. My advice, find a mod-friendly dealer to go to. Yes they do exist. Call around and and ask what their policy is on the subject and how lenient they are. Some are against it straight up, others are more loose, and few other dealers are actually very supportive and helpful. Your warranty will not totally be void for one or a few simple mods. But you could always cheat it and have the mod extracted before bringing it in to get serviced if something were to go wrong, if you're mechanically inclined, or know someone who is.

As for the hp gains. I've been always into something with a V6 or V8. When you're into a 4Banger, most mods will give you 10hp or less increases, from what I've seen with others. On average about 4-8hp gains. Mind you, this vehicle (Cooper'S') inparticular is a S/C'd version. Which means is more mod-sensitive do to air flow, and back pressure, etc. When considering exhaust, I'd be cautious about what kind of potential back pressure damage that you may cause. You don't want to restrict or cause irregular back flow. I'd go with a vehicle specific exhaust over a muffler shop jobby, so as to avoid this.

On my Lighnting, an average mod would kick up about 20-40hp, or 2-5 lbs of boost. I wouldn't try going boost crazy with these engines though. It's only a 4 banger. It's so easy to over-boost a S/C'd engine. But then I could be wrong, being that I'm not talking from experience when it comes to the MINI, 'cause I'm still waiting for mine. But there's been many horror stories from others, with modding a S/C'd engine. Just coming from a Lightning forum where guys were going 10lbs of boost over stock, just with like 3 mods.

The sad thing with modding a 4Banger is that you pay a couple hundred for an average mod, and only increase about 5hp. But I'm going for it anyway. I have my MINI's on PS1 and PS2 up to 169hp. Perfect example on how little increments each mod will boost.

Anywho, sorry for the long post. Just my $0.02

Old 06-25-2002, 12:36 AM
Shave
Neutral
Chances are it will void them, however, you if you don't say anything and try your luck you might get away with it.

Old 06-25-2002, 09:28 AM
silvermini
1st Gear
how about performance mods for the cooper, yesterday guys at mossmotor told me
that the 5 speed tran cant take more then 135 hp...

Old 07-13-2002, 08:27 PM
Gidget
3rd Gear
I went to the MINI dealership in socal today....had so much fun. Talk about being a kid in a candy shoppe!

I'm torn between the styling of the Cooper -- i love the smile, but the power of the S. One gentlemen there said I can add an exhaust upgrade - through MINI for $1450 and it will add about 15-17 HP to make it 132HP.

Anyone done this? I'd to get this done instead of purchasing the "S" because I am not fond of the hood air-intake vent -- it ruins the :smile: of the car. I am not to hip on the spoiler of the "S" either, but that can be removed since it doesn't really become functional until 90mph.

I have a jetta GLS now and want more than 115 HP -- the MINI is a bit slow on the pickup. Just a little 'oomph' and i'll be good to go.

thoughts?

Old 07-13-2002, 09:12 PM
silvermini
1st Gear
$1450 is a bit steep for an exhaust system.that is double what eveyone else is charging....

Old 07-14-2002, 12:32 PM
Gidget
3rd Gear
this would be installed by MINI

Old 07-14-2002, 09:43 PM
silvermini
1st Gear
should not cost that much for labor, u can install that in one hour.

Old 07-15-2002, 11:26 AM
Gidget
3rd Gear
Can you email me more details? I'm trying to make my final decision this week and get my order in. If I go with an upgraded exhaust, I'll need to find someone to put it in for me - reliable and also need to find out if it voids any warranties, I want to make sure I am good to go w/MINI and keep all warranties and maintenance agreements intact. Cost is a factor, but of course speaking w/the dealer, they will do it, but it will cost me a whole lot more, but all warranties are still good.

BleuMiniS@aol.com

thanks!!

Old 07-15-2002, 10:16 PM
silvermini
1st Gear
i would ask the dealer if the warranty is still good if u install an exhaust system,then
check out this web site http://www.rogueengineering.com for the exhaust system.installing it
should be easy ,try your local muffler shops, make sure they dont cut or weld anything,the kit is bolt on only.hope that helps.

Old 07-15-2002, 10:43 PM
HighAnxiety
4th Gear
>>I went to the MINI dealership in socal today....had so much fun. Talk about being a kid in a candy shoppe!
>>
>>I'm torn between the styling of the Cooper -- i love the smile, but the power of the S. One gentlemen there said I can add an exhaust upgrade - through MINI for $1450 and it will add about 15-17 HP to make it 132HP.

I think your dealer is trying to pull a fast one on you. There is absolutely positively no way an exhaust upgrade will increase you HP 15-17 unless they completely uninstall your cadilitic converter which is illegal. Realistic HP increase would be more like 4 or 5 HP tops.

Old 07-15-2002, 11:10 PM
MiniMe762
2nd Gear
If you're willing to wait, John Cooper Works is offering an upgrade kit which will be available to MINI dealers in the US later this year. It includes a new intake, exhaust, and a few other things. MINI dealers will be installing it, and they are working out the warranty question so that the warranty is not affected at all. If you want to check it out, go to: John Cooper Works. Only problem is it's supposed to cost $3k or so.

I myself am happy with my Cooper. I've added Magnecor wires, and just that alone causes my MINI to have a little extra punch. It also idles about 50-100 rpm faster with no other mods. I'm also planning to add a Pipercross intake, new exhaust, and eventually a turbocharger kit that will work with the Cooper gearbox.

Jason

Old 07-16-2002, 07:09 AM
Sackman
1st Gear
Just got an e-mail reply from John Cooper Works..

Cooper S option of 200hp will be available in the UK in January

No prices as yet

Old 07-16-2002, 07:13 PM
silvermini
1st Gear
what turbo charger kit?

Old 07-17-2002, 02:10 AM
Dr_cooper_S
Neutral
Seen an italian site where a guy sponsors a 15 Hp exaust mod.
Check it out at http://www.romeoferraris.it

Old 07-17-2002, 03:35 AM
BoyRacer
4th Gear
In addition to "Sackmans" comments, publishable data about the 200bhp upgrade will be on the John Cooper website from October. I think the up grade will be availiable in the UK first. You could always add a performance exhaust, K&N air filter and a dump valve to boost the power to 180 (approx) if you cannot wait?

Old 07-17-2002, 03:56 PM
JohnW
4th Gear
I agree with MiniMe762. I just ordered the Magnecor ignition wires, and will be adding some sort of cold- or ram-air intake, along with a new exhaust in the near future. At that point I'll decide if my Mini is quick enough for me. It won't take too much...

Old 07-17-2002, 04:53 PM
DomTom
1st Gear
>>Seen an italian site where a guy sponsors a 15 Hp exaust mod.
>>Check it out at http://www.romeoferraris.it

The only way an exhaust upgrade on a 100 something HP car will add 15 HP is if there is a turbo-charger in the middle of it.