Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

? Fuel Filter/Sender assembly removal replacement help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2020 | 08:05 AM
Mad Dog Tannen
|
1st Gear
? Fuel Filter/Sender assembly removal replacement help needed

How can I disconnect the hoses and wires to the Fuel Filter/Sending unit to remove and replace the entire assembly?
Do they need to be done from inside the tank?
Any special tools needed?

I was doing a fuel filter change. I broke the bottom part of the plastic housing, now I need to replace the whole assembly. But I dont know how to remove the old one.
Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails ? Fuel Filter/Sender assembly removal replacement help needed-fuel-filter.jpg  
Old 05-08-2020 | 12:22 PM
Minifenrir
3rd Gear
In my limited time here Pelican parts seems to be a great place for OEM parts and for tech articles. I have only had my Mini for about 2 weeks so maybe someone else will have better info for you.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

Old 05-11-2020 | 12:19 PM
schovil69
2nd Gear
Yes, in tank disconnection may be necessary. There are no special tools required. You will need to remove the covers for the filter housing as well as and fuel pump to gain access to everything. Fishing the hoses across the tank is a bit challenging because the tank's bottom is not flat. Be careful to not bend the metal float arm on the filter housing. It helps if the tank is empty. That is, I prefer the tank empty when reaching inside for this job.

My wife changed the filter housing and fuel pump in our daughter's MINI and somehow managed to reverse something so now the fuel gauge reads backwards. The low fuel warning light illuminates when the tank is full. Not sure what's going on there and don't care enough to go in and find out at this time, just glad it's running a driving well.

Old 05-13-2020 | 11:00 AM
Mad Dog Tannen
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by schovil69
Yes, in tank disconnection may be necessary. There are no special tools required. You will need to remove the covers for the filter housing as well as and fuel pump to gain access to everything. Fishing the hoses across the tank is a bit challenging because the tank's bottom is not flat. Be careful to not bend the metal float arm on the filter housing. It helps if the tank is empty. That is, I prefer the tank empty when reaching inside for this job.

My wife changed the filter housing and fuel pump in our daughter's MINI and somehow managed to reverse something so now the fuel gauge reads backwards. The low fuel warning light illuminates when the tank is full. Not sure what's going on there and don't care enough to go in and find out at this time, just glad it's running a driving well.
Thanks for the info.

I took your advice and siphoned out 2/3 of the full tank (of course this happens right after I fill up).
The connectors where all easily disconnected by hand, no tools necessary. I see what you mean about running the hoses across.
I didn't get the pressure side connector, on the fuel pump on all the way, so it popped off under pressure about 20 min into my test drive. Luckily I predicted this was the culprit and it took me about 30 min to fix while waiting for the tow truck with my emergency tools.

The car now runs great. The new tires and wheels feel awesome. The only complaint I have is that they give no audible warning before losing traction. My old tires howled long before they let go.

Old 05-14-2020 | 06:47 AM
schovil69
2nd Gear
You must become one with the cah. Hah!

I'm glad everything worked out in the end and you're enjoying your car again.