Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Need help with R56 codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 09:19 AM
bmcgough
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with R56 codes

Hello,

I pulled the codes off my 2013 R56 Justa. I added a note with the info I was able to find. One note, I replaced the factory head unit and i believe that is causing the Can Bus errors.

C994 Switching Centre Steering Column
2FD9 EWS-DME electronic immobilization
DA04 K Can Low
E104 Can Wire Error
A559 KL30g f cutoff
A8BD registration plate lift defective
D104 TPMS
D115 TPMS

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Old 05-11-2020, 09:50 AM
Jay Bacon
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
check your battery amperage, BMW are notorious for codes to get thrown and car to do funny things when batteries are low or toast.

What were you doing prior to getting these codes?

Old 05-11-2020, 10:08 AM
mini-is-for-me
4th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Are you sure you are not looking the entire history of error codes? When I first got my car, it had a bunch of bogus codes. After I fixed the things which I knew were faulty, cleared all the codes and 25% of them never came back.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:27 AM
Jay Bacon
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Something has caused these codes, does the car start?

One of your codes is tieing to your CAS (EWS) module which needs to share a 128byte code with the DME (ECU).
another one is your steering lock, which also talks to your CAS from what I have read in other sources.
Some of your other codes I couldn't find.

Hate to say it but a standard OBDI-2 reader doesn't get all the german codes that our Minis throw out now days and sometimes needs more advanced diagnostics. @MiniToBe is a great resource and might have a few more suggestions.

I would start with the codes that we can find information about.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:13 AM
bmcgough
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Jay Bacon
check your battery amperage, BMW are notorious for codes to get thrown and car to do funny things when batteries are low or toast.

What were you doing prior to getting these codes?
I replaced my battery last year, but was not able to have the car programmed.

I did not do anything to the car before reading the codes. I have an OBDII scanner and I just check them from time to time. I have seen the CAN BUS codes before but not the other ones.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:16 AM
bmcgough
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mini-is-for-me
Are you sure you are not looking the entire history of error codes? When I first got my car, it had a bunch of bogus codes. After I fixed the things which I knew were faulty, cleared all the codes and 25% of them never came back.
No I clear the codes out after I read them each time.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:18 AM
bmcgough
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Jay Bacon
Something has caused these codes, does the car start?

One of your codes is tieing to your CAS (EWS) module which needs to share a 128byte code with the DME (ECU).
another one is your steering lock, which also talks to your CAS from what I have read in other sources.
Some of your other codes I couldn't find.

Hate to say it but a standard OBDI-2 reader doesn't get all the german codes that our Minis throw out now days and sometimes needs more advanced diagnostics. @MiniToBe is a great resource and might have a few more suggestions.

I would start with the codes that we can find information about.
The car runs fine. I was just doing a random scan. I check for codes maybe twice a year. I am using the BlueDriver reader and app.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:53 PM
mini-is-for-me
4th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcgough
No I clear the codes out after I read them each time.
Well Jay is right, you don't want to use a standard OBDI-2 engine code reader. You need to use a BMW Mini specific one. You may have a problem that is not being picked up that makes all these other have some kind of mental connection. In addition, the codes get translated into something dumb. So the Mini Code may read out something specific to your car while the standard code reads out to be something more generic on an American car that doesn't make a lot of sense in your car. In fact, I have seen really stupid Mini codes like the antenna on the radio is unscrewed the last time you did a car wash make it sound like you have an electronic short in your car or something.

Don't even bother trying to connect them up...it is an exercise of futility IMHO unless it is like for the O2 sensors or basic emissions. Those have to map up so the people that check your emissions can fail your car. lol

Old 05-11-2020, 02:15 PM
bmcgough
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mini-is-for-me
Well Jay is right, you don't want to use a standard OBDI-2 engine code reader. You need to use a BMW Mini specific one. You may have a problem that is not being picked up that makes all these other have some kind of mental connection. In addition, the codes get translated into something dumb. So the Mini Code may read out something specific to your car while the standard code reads out to be something more generic on an American car that doesn't make a lot of sense in your car. In fact, I have seen really stupid Mini codes like the antenna on the radio is unscrewed the last time you did a car wash make it sound like you have an electronic short in your car or something.

Don't even bother trying to connect them up...it is an exercise of futility IMHO unless it is like for the O2 sensors or basic emissions. Those have to map up so the people that check your emissions can fail your car. lol
Do you have a BMW specific code reader that you recommend?

Thanks for all the responses guys!

Old 05-11-2020, 06:26 PM
giorgos
4th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
If you are using an android smartphone, I can recommend:

Deep OBD for BMW and VAG:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.holeschak.bmw_deep_obd&hl=en

bimmer-tool (BTool) Lite:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....pw.btool.lite

Both report errors from all ECU's, are free, free of trackers and do not require proprietary adapters. They work with Bluetooth or WLAN adapters as well as D-CAN/K-Line USB adapter cables (such as those cheap chinese ones that work with INPA). Note: an OTG capable smartphone is required in order to use a USB cable adapter.

Deep OBD is a bit tedious to understand and configure, but has more features. It provides more detailed error explanations, including plain text descriptors. It can also be used to monitor (both graphically and/or numerically) every single reported sensor value in real time, for example onboard voltage, coolant temperature, etc. It is also compatible with Volkswagen group brands, but I've never tried that myself.

BimmerTool lite is (much) easier to setup but will only show the error code (lacking the plain text description).

I have installed both on my smartphone and find myself using Deep OBD pretty much every time.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:12 AM
bmcgough
1st Gear
Originally Posted by giorgos
If you are using an android smartphone, I can recommend:

Deep OBD for BMW and VAG:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.holeschak.bmw_deep_obd&hl=en

bimmer-tool (BTool) Lite:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....pw.btool.lite

Both report errors from all ECU's, are free, free of trackers and do not require proprietary adapters. They work with Bluetooth or WLAN adapters as well as D-CAN/K-Line USB adapter cables (such as those cheap chinese ones that work with INPA). Note: an OTG capable smartphone is required in order to use a USB cable adapter.

Deep OBD is a bit tedious to understand and configure, but has more features. It provides more detailed error explanations, including plain text descriptors. It can also be used to monitor (both graphically and/or numerically) every single reported sensor value in real time, for example onboard voltage, coolant temperature, etc. It is also compatible with Volkswagen group brands, but I've never tried that myself.

BimmerTool lite is (much) easier to setup but will only show the error code (lacking the plain text description).

I have installed both on my smartphone and find myself using Deep OBD pretty much every time.
Thanks for the recommendations. I do not use android, but I will see if I can find similar on apple.

Old 12-19-2021, 10:33 AM
stiksandstones
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I got a blue driver ODB device, my 2012 countryman S, shows only one code/error:
1 instrument cluster code: a559 status HISTORY - KL30g f cutoff

frequently reported fix-replaced battery.

I've posted on another forum-the only issue with this car has been an alert about the battery discharging quickly-I assume this code is related to this?