Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

P1498 Code, what's the fix ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 05:53 AM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 168 Likes on 134 Posts
P1498 Code, what's the fix ??

I've read pages upon pages of threads on this topic yet no one here or in other forums can put their finger on the part causing what is described as a sporatic code afflicting both R50's and R53's. So far the only ones whom have seem to fix this basically "shotgun" about 6 or 7 engine bay parts to make it go away. Has anyone replaced just one component or part to rid themselves of this code ? State Inspection is in July, so need to get this sorted out.

I have a R53 JCW, 244K miles - very well maintained about every part has been replaced always with new OEM....and I mean about every part at least once, except engine and transmission. It's no longer daily driver, and for the most part for last 4yrs a "garage queen."

My problem is that I've been sporatically seeing a P1498 code since December....Started in December during colder wx. Replaced the MAP sensor above the upper radiator hose...nada. Code came back. Smoke tested the vac lines under 1lb pressure and BMW performed an test of fuel evac system elctronically since I had the hard brake lines replaced and tank had to be dropped....and all was good there.

So today temps were a bit chilly, about 38-40*F - started it up, pulled out of the garage and parked it with engine running for about 3 mins to warm it up. Got back and saw that the EML light was on again.....

Checked SGII mounted on the dash, the code was not initally "readable"...So turned off ignition, put key to pos2 and pressed "read" - P1498 code rears it's ugly head again! No other symptoms....Car has no driveabilty issues and sounds strong up through the entire RPM range.

Now I've been thinking about replacing the Detroit Tuned BPV since it has over 200K miles on it, hell a stock one usually only lasts like 80K miles, but after ordering one on line at Detroit Tuned and adding a brief synopsis of the code situation in comments section of order, Chad of Detroit Tuned was nice enough to call me to say he's never had one of those needing replacement. The springs they install in the BPV are so thick and strong they just dont wear out.

So meantime, I've ordered a bunch of vac lines associated with the fuel preporation system, and the one for the FPR ( fuel pressure regulator ) and the metal gasket for cold side of the supercharger horn, and gasket for TB. Will dive into the GP intercooler tomorrow and check the rubber boots but those are OEM and practically brand new at 3,000 miles ago. Can't imagine those are cracked.

If anyone has solved this P1498 code w/o "shotgunning" a slew of parts at the situation ( all at once ) ....please let me know !

Thanks in advance !

Old 05-16-2020, 02:36 PM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
127 Views....? ?

Old 05-17-2020, 10:33 AM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Received 139 Likes on 123 Posts
There are many threads on this iirc...

Seems like it’s hard to nail down.

here is mine...hope it helps in some way:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-air-leak.html

The following users liked this post:
Eurothrasher (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 01:56 PM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
What I have is EML light at start up ( sporatic - seemed to happen when cold outside ) in conjunction with ScangaugeII reporting P1498 code. After driving 60 miles or 6 feet for that matter, shutting down the engine and restarting clears the EML light and P1498 Code can be cleared....This may not happend again for weeks...or months.

Im on my third or fourth supercharger duct horn and green jam gasket....One map sensor by water pump already replaced twice, last time was around 130K miles, the one by upper radiator hose three times most recently in December when this code first showed up.

The Vac line to FPR was replaced by me in 2012...I found it the day before MINI's on Top, had severe driveabiltiy issues, engine skipping, chugging out when on throttle for even a small hill....Replaced it and worked fine.

I've ordered 200 dollars worth of OEM lines in the engine compartment and a new Detroit Tuned BPV, although that does seem to be aok....I wanted it on hand just in case since we'll be in there anyways....Heck its got 200,000 mile on it so figured wouldnt hurt to have one around.

Will start back in on this Monday when ECS Tuning's MINI parts arrive....

Thanks!

ssoliman (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 06:54 PM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Received 139 Likes on 123 Posts
Sounds like ur really going after it...would love to hear how it all turns out

Eurothrasher (05-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2022, 10:10 PM
Reinier89
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If no vac leaks after smoke test I’m willing to bet it is the bypas valve gasket . Which I have this issue on 2 of our jcw’s. Did you ever figure out the prob?

ssoliman (01-21-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 07:41 AM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Reinier89
If no vac leaks after smoke test I’m willing to bet it is the bypas valve gasket . Which I have this issue on 2 of our jcw’s. Did you ever figure out the prob?
I dove in with bunch of OEM parts (shotgun style due to time constraints, and because these little cars are such a PITA with respect to getting to a part(s). and replaced a bunch of gaskets including your suggested BPV gasket and the BPV iteself. Went with a the Detroit Tuned BPV again. When I discovered that the metal gasket for the SC horn on pass side was not present or replaced after a SC oil exchange some 5yrs ago, I thought I had found the issue. However, some months later the code returned. Infrequently at cold start up but had returned. I replaced the gray hard plastic line as well under the intercooler going to the TB. What I didnt get to were the lines leading to the black thermal plastic Supercharge Intake duct. When the Supercharger service is needed we'll have it done at that time.

This metal gasket was missing from SC Horn driver's side.

Old 03-12-2023, 03:47 PM
Husky44
5th Gear
Received 244 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Eurothrasher
I dove in with bunch of OEM parts (shotgun style due to time constraints, and because these little cars are such a PITA with respect to getting to a part(s). and replaced a bunch of gaskets including your suggested BPV gasket and the BPV iteself. Went with a the Detroit Tuned BPV again. When I discovered that the metal gasket for the SC horn on pass side was not present or replaced after a SC oil exchange some 5yrs ago, I thought I had found the issue. However, some months later the code returned. Infrequently at cold start up but had returned. I replaced the gray hard plastic line as well under the intercooler going to the TB. What I didnt get to were the lines leading to the black thermal plastic Supercharge Intake duct. When the Supercharger service is needed we'll have it done at that time.

This metal gasket was missing from SC Horn driver's side.

Any updates? I'm chasing the same code. Looking for an ultimate solution.