Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Car dies randomly with low fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 10:13 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Car dies randomly with low fuel pressure

I need some hardcore Mini guru help on this issue. For the past year or so now I've been having an issue where my car randomly dies with little to no fuel rail pressure. I can read fuel rail pressure on my Dashcommand app and see it around 20-30 psi at most, where it should usually be around 1000psi at idle and 1800-2000 psi under acceleration. And I can see the AFR shoot up to 20:1 so I know it isn't a faulty sensor. My methanol kit also starts spraying methanol because the car is starving for fuel I imagine.

The only assumption I can make about the conditions under which is happens is that the car is fully warmed up and has either been driving continuously on the highway or has been accelerating. Never happens when the car is cold. I have had it happen both under load and while sitting at idle. I can only assume it has something to do with heat.

The car randomly starts stumbling and I will usually have to try and restart it several times before I get fuel rail pressure back and the car runs normally. If I can park and let the car cool down a bit for at least an hour it usually doesn't happen again for a month or two. However if I am in the middle of a drive I it will probably happen again once or twice before I get to my destination and park the car.

When I pull codes I see P306F, P0087, and P10EE. Basically somehow the fuel rail pressure is both too high and too low at the same time. I did replace the high pressure fuel pump last August and it seemed to help for a while, however the issue came back just less frequently. I also replaced the fuel filter and checked the HPFP connector isn't damaged in any way.

I'm kind of at a loss where to go from here. Do I try replacing the HPFP again? Is there something else I should look at?

Old 05-16-2020, 11:28 AM
Project_Mini
2nd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Maybe your in tank fuel pump is going bad? Just a shot in the dark as I’ve never dealt with that issue

Old 05-16-2020, 05:33 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
At least in my experience with electric pumps, either they work or they don't. No in between. Also haven't really heard of the low pressure fuel pump ever being an issue in these cars.

The following users liked this post:
Project_Mini (05-16-2020)
Old 12-21-2023, 06:03 PM
kredlin01
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any updates? Having similar issues.

Old 12-24-2023, 04:09 PM
texasmontego
4th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
check the o-rings in the fuel filter. If you get the larger oring is kinked, I could see this happening. Where did you get the HPFP from? Is it an ebay refurb or did you get a factory original? ECS makes a really good cheaper alternative (about $300 cheaper than OEM), which I have used multiple times with really good success.
Pull the fuel filter and check the condition of the orings. You should have replaced 3; two small and one large.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (12-26-2023)