Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Clutch/transmission problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020 | 04:13 PM
SoBueno
|
2nd Gear
Clutch/transmission problem.

Howdy MiNi fam. Just need to vent here.

for reference I have a 2012 Cooper S with 49k miles with a manual transmission.

the car has been nothing but good to me since I bought her about a year and a half ago.

unfortunately my clutch gave out on my way home today from taking my fiancé to pick up her car from the car wash spot, she was getting the seats shampooed.

I was at a red light waiting to make a left turn. when the light turned green and I went to put the car in first gear the clutch became very stiff, I could barely push it all the way in and I could not put the car In first, second or third gear. I could only put the car in reverse. Eventually the car turned off and I could not start her up again, even though I had the clutch pushed all the way in. I really did not see this coming, I did not feel any issues with the clutch, all though it felt funny when I left the car wash spot. Needless to say my road mates began honking away.

luckily for me there was a homeless guy at the light and he helped me push the car into a gas station, which happen to be all the way to the right. The man helped stop traffic and helped me push the mini into a 7-11. I hooked him up with $20. Then I got the car towed home, which was pretty much around the corner.

Now waiting until Tuesday when my preferred Mini shop, Maitland importers in Orlando are open. Hoping this won’t cost me too much but from what I’ve read, if it needs a full replacement I am looking at $2k or more. 😢

I was not expecting these kind of issues with a Mini with low miles but such is life.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Cheers!

Old 05-24-2020 | 05:26 PM
torque124
2nd Gear
Hi,
I would check the slave cylinder on your car, before spending money on the clutch. The fact that you could not push it in tells there is something wrong there (potentially)?
It is easy to remove and check if still pushing the clutch spring ...

Old 05-24-2020 | 10:27 PM
SoBueno
|
2nd Gear
Cool, thanks for the feedback Torque. I will check that out.

I did notice some is fluids on the ground in the front end of the car since the tow. I am guessing it is clutch fluid spilling out.