Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

'07 N14 Starts, Runs, But throwing 10+ Codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 08:42 PM
s13fastback
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 N14 Starts, Runs, But throwing 10+ Codes

Hello all, bear with me and my short story...

A year or two ago my mom bought a 2007 Cooper Base with a 6 speed and sport package, and she instantly fell in love with the car. She works very close to home and only drives a mile or two a day, albeit up and down the quite steep hill, but is generally very gentle with the car.

A little while ago she complained how the car wasn't as powerful as it used to be in the lower RPM's, around 1k-2.5~3k. CEL came out to be a misfire, so I replaced the spark plugs with OEM NGK's and replaced the coil with a genuine. (I think Beru) I also noticed spark plug tube seals were leaking so I replaced the valve cover gasket at the same time. Car seemed the get its life back and was good to go for a couple months.

About a month ago, power loss came back with more CEL's, along with a REALLY rough idle when the car is warm. Came out to be the Exhaust Camshaft Sensor and the Exhaust VVT solenoid. I only replaced the Position Sensor, (again genuine part) just to see if both codes would go away. CEL came back on, but this time only for the Exhaust VVT solenoid. I bit the bullet and bought one (again, genuine) and installed it. The car was immediately MUCH more powerful than it had ever been, idles super smooth, revs up really well. You can just feel this car wants to go now! However, this is where my problems arise.

After starting the car and driving, upon coming to a stop sign or light, the car will instantly cut out when i press the clutch pedal in. It is a very hard RPM dive and goes straight to 0. It will start right back up and idle every time, but the second you start going and stopping it wants nothing to do with it. I expected another CEL to point to the problem after a day of driving it.

Oh Boy.

To my horror tonight I plugged in my scanner and got 20 codes back, in various states of Pending and Stored, as listed below:

P0010 Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit / Open (Bank 1)

P0013 Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit / Open (Bank1)

P0100 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit

P0444 Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve Circuit Open

P0458 Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve Circuit Low

P0597 Thermostat Heater Control Circuit / Open

P0598 Thermostat Heater Control Circuit Low

P2088 A Camshaft Position Actuator Control Circuit Low Bank 1

P2090 B Camshaft Position Actuator Control Circuit Low Bank 1

P113B Mass or Volume Air Flow 1 Correction Signal Plausibility Period Too Short

I am REALLY hoping there is a common denominator to all these codes, as most of these I have never seen on this vehicle before. How could all of this go bad at the exact same time??? I've worked at an auto parts store for 4 years and this is BY FAR the most codes I've gotten back on ANY car I've scanned.

Car has ~128k miles. I've changed the oil regularly with Valvoline synthetic 5w40 and a new filter every time. The car is still reliable and will always turn over, but this issue needs to be resolved quickly for obvious reasons.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm fairly experienced working on cars, please let me know if there's anything I can peek at or take pictures of! I am not scared to rip things apart, any suggestions are a blessing!

Thank you for your time!

Old 06-03-2020, 08:56 PM
cpmetz
3rd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Are those active or stored codes? Did you delete fault memory and they all came back?

The following users liked this post:
MiniToBe (06-04-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 09:05 PM
s13fastback
Neutral
Originally Posted by cpmetz
Are those active or stored codes? Did you delete fault memory and they all came back?
Yes, all were stored, along with some duplicate Pending Codes. I have deleted the codes from the computer but I haven't had the chance to drive it again to see if the codes come back.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:12 PM
s13fastback
Neutral
Edit: Double post

Last edited by s13fastback; 06-04-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:01 PM
s13fastback
Neutral
Found this thread:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...upply-pin.html

This seems to be a very similar situation, my case being non turbo.

I tracked down wire X60231 coming from pin 41 on the ECU and im only reading 3V with accessory/ignition on. Post states it should be 12V. This is leading me to believe my ECU may be fried as well. AM I correct to believe this? Is there anything that could be hampering the ECU from putting out 12V to this specific wire?

Any responses are appreciated!

Old 10-21-2020, 12:18 PM
tkondrak70
Neutral
Originally Posted by s13fastback
Found this thread:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...upply-pin.html

This seems to be a very similar situation, my case being non turbo.

I tracked down wire X60231 coming from pin 41 on the ECU and im only reading 3V with accessory/ignition on. Post states it should be 12V. This is leading me to believe my ECU may be fried as well. AM I correct to believe this? Is there anything that could be hampering the ECU from putting out 12V to this specific wire?

Any responses are appreciated!
Have you found the solution? I have the same problem and reached out to your tagged post but no luck. Thanks!