Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

No Power to Wheels, but can shift into all gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 07:27 PM
Maticus
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Power to Wheels, but can shift into all gears

I'm having a hard time finding a thread about this issue. If I am posting in the wrong thread please let me know,I will move it.

Info on the Mini in question:
2003 Mini Cooper S
250-260k (I cant remember the exact number
Has a new Supercharger
Lowered
New Clutch
New Drivelines
(All work done by me)

Best to give you the whole story.

6 Months ago my clutch plate was slipping badly.
I pulled it into the garage and spent two days taking out, and replacing, the clutch.

2 months after I was leaving my works parking lot and as I shifted into 2nd gear I heard a loud BANG, and I suddenly had no power.
I could shift the car into all 6 gears fine, no squishy feeling. The clutch pedal also fully engaged and disengaged with no issues.
When in gear i could hear a kinda of marble sounds from the engine.
I had the Mini towed home and two days later I lifted it the front and turned it on.
While in gear one wheel would spin but the other would intermittently spin, and a sliding sound could be heard.

A week later I found that the plate behind the passenger side wheel was bent and rubbing against the disk. Once I had that fixed! I put it down on the ground and it drove fine! Shifted through all 6 gears smoothly.
I was just starting from a dead stop again and heard another BANG and again lost all power to the wheels.

Now Recently I have lifted it again! and turned it over.
Turns over first try. No issues idling (Problems only occur when in gear)
I get no wheel spin from either tire
Drive lines are not rotating
I can shift into 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear with no help from the clutch (The rest need to be shifted with clutch)
No feeling coming from the clutch pedal at all.
The big issue is I get what can best be described as a a rubber rubbing sound from the transmission ONLY while in gear. Gets louder in each gear starting in 1st.

I am all out of possible ideas. Hoping to have some insight in to the possible issue before I dig into the engine again. Hoping its something stupid possible.

Old 06-21-2020, 03:05 AM
nd-photo.nl
6th Gear
Received 308 Likes on 263 Posts
Most likely broken CV joint or the axle which goes in the CV joint doesnt grip anymore. I had this issue on another car, in the end I ended up replacing the complete axle with CV joint already attached to it (most easy to replace).

The mechanic already told me when he removed the axle, that it would probably pose a problem when we reinstalled the axle again (see pic below, gnashed teeth). He was right... We needed to remove the axle because my clutch needed replacing then.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:24 AM
Maticus
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks you so much!
Pulled the driver side driveline out and it was thrashed. Nothing left of the teeth. Ordered a new one! Should be rolling around again in no time.

The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (06-22-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 02:05 PM
nd-photo.nl
6th Gear
Received 308 Likes on 263 Posts
Jep that looks shot to hell!

You are very welcome, I love it when problems are solved on forums :D

The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (06-22-2020)