Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Unusual Problem-Accelerator-DME error

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2020 | 02:40 PM
rileyb
|
Neutral
Unusual Problem-Accelerator-DME error

Car is a 2010 Mini 'Justa' N12
Posting this here now because for the last several weeks I've been chasing my tail with this/these problems. Wondering if anyone has run into this and how did you fix it. This could be a little long.
Problem: On cold start-up, the engine runs, but surges for a while. At the same time, the accelerator is dead---nothing. I let it run and surge until it finally smooths out. Then shut it off, restart, it idles smooth and the pedal comes back to life.
When it does this it pulls codes on my scanner showing DME internal error. Sometimes it will also show codes for the two voltage paths for the throttle. Once restarted, I can clear the codes and there are no more faults.
So----since the two issues seemed to be related to the engine temp, I changed the coolant temp sensor. (I'd already had trouble with a bad sensor shutting the engine down--essentially telling the computer the engine was running hot.) This didn't change anything. I also changed the coolant temp sensor connector just for kicks.
I have replaced the throttle sensor, thinking that was the answer--however, the result is the same no matter which throttle sensor is attached.
I have done some other things hoping for a fix. I took off, inspected, and cleaned the throttle body--appears to be working fine.
I changed out the PCV valve for aftermarket fix. The old PCV looked fine with no crud or excess oil.
Plus, the engine has a virtually new thermostat unit, which is what the coolant sensor attaches to--so have not replaced it.
I'm loath to believe this is a computer problem because I think there would be some other issues.
***As a fun aside, I also had the dreaded footwell module malady not long ago when I replace the battery. I sent it off to a shop in NYC for repair--seems to be working normally now. All windows and lights came back just fine.
Also, for the administrators and moderators--I have searched the forums and threads throughout this website and many others to no avail.
Has anybody experienced any of these issues? Thanks for reading.

Old 06-26-2020 | 03:51 AM
MVPeters
5th Gear
For the sake of 30 seconds, try re-setting the drive-by-wire throttle synchronization & see if it makes any difference.
Ignition on, engine not running, floor the gas pedal & hold for 30 seconds. ignition off, key out.

Old 06-26-2020 | 11:40 AM
rileyb
|
Neutral
Yes, have tried to reset adaptation on both the original sensor, the replacement and the original again. Problem remains the same. Thanks for responding.