Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Another Trifecta Post...with a twist.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 07:02 AM
Freakin Ninja
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Trifecta Post...with a twist.

I have been reading everything i can about the trifecta, but nothing i have found is my "exact" problem.

When i scan my car, it tells me that the drivers side (left) wheel sensor is not working. I even check the data stream to confirm that the other 3 wheels show a speed (the same one even), and the left front one stays at 0.00. I thought, great change the wheel sensor and we will be good. i swapped it out, and the problem stayed... I then swapped it out with a known good sensor (the one from the passenger) and it still did not work. I replaced that sensor back into is home (right front) and the sensor still worked. I wanted to make sure i did not damage it while removing it. I tried to do my best at a round robin diagnostics. I even made it so i could connect the working sensor (front passenger side) to the wire harness plug for the drivers side, to try to check if the module was processing the signal correctly. it did not show a speed on the data stream still.

so then i got out the multimeter. I checked to make sure i was getting voltage as each of the plugs at the end of the wire harness, and i was. I then checked the Ohms on each of the sensors, and they showed the same. so i am farly sure that the sensors are good, and that the wire connection from the ABS module to the sensors is still ok. (i did see a lot of post of chaffed wires, but i did not see that on my car)

is there a chance that the module is just not processing the data correctly? is there a way to check that? do i need a new ABS Mod?

Old 06-30-2020, 09:01 AM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts
I wonder if the part in your wheel bearing that sends the signal to the sensor is bad. (hall sensor?) I would start with replacing the wheel bearing before the abs module.Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 05:15 AM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Received 139 Likes on 123 Posts
Maybe an obstruction (dirt, grime, etc) keeping it from reading off the ring on the hub assembly?

Old 07-01-2020, 07:43 AM
Freakin Ninja
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Id agree, but for the fact that i plugged the wire-harness for the driver side wheel sensor, into the sensor that was installed in the passenger side. the passenger side was working properly. the thought was this would test the abs module, as everything else was working. it did not give a reading. is there a way to test just the module, or do i need to pull it out and send it in.

Old 07-01-2020, 12:17 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,099 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Yep, rusty back side of the hub and it cannot read it. They can get dirty and rust over time and cut into the sensor head sometimes (mine did it). Also when you install the sensors you can crack the heads if you dont clean the install hole. So watch that. Pull the wheel bearing and check the back side, clean it off and make sure the seal is not rusted out and causing issues on the read.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-on-tight.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (07-02-2020)