Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2003 R53 Belt line clip (on body) removal/replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 02:26 PM
GhostClowder
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2003 R53 Belt line clip (on body) removal/replacement

Hi, new to the site. Signed up to hopefully get some answers or info about my belt line hardware. Forgive me if this is common knowledge or has been posted before, but for the life of me i can not find any info here or anywhere for that matter. When i google belt line clip/hardware, the only thing that pops up is how to remove the actual chrome belt line trim.

The hardware that i need to replace is the one that clips on to the body of the car itself. A small post keeps it in place. These clips mate with the clips on the back side of the chrome belt line trim.

I was able to remove one of the two broken ones with brute force (cant get second one out, but i can always break it off), but I'm not sure if the brute force method is the best way to go about replacing it. Is there a tutorial that someone can point me to or any tips that someone can share? I found one comment on a Youtube video that claims the windows have to be removed to remove/replace clips. Ugh, i really hope this isn't the case.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:39 AM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Received 139 Likes on 123 Posts
I’ve not removed those, yet. Anything on YouTube?

these hold the chrome striping along the bottom of the window?

hard to tell from the pics...

why are you trying to replace the clips, did that break?

maybe use some epoxy and call it fixed. Especially if it’s just one of the clips

Last edited by ssoliman; 07-31-2020 at 05:44 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:30 AM
GhostClowder
Neutral
nothing on youtube. maybe i dont have the right wording, but only "how to remove chrome trim" comes up when i try searching.

yes, these clips hold the trim in place. these mate with the clips on the backside of the trim.

i want to replace because 2 clips are broken. the trim just flaps because the clips that are broken are at the end of the section. i dont want to loose the trim.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:28 PM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Yeah I’m not finding any videos in YouTube either.

id say order few extra and experiment. You should be able to find the clips here:

realoem.com

punch in the last 7 of your vin

Old 08-04-2020, 03:26 PM
GhostClowder
Neutral
quick update for future viewers because no one likes unresolved posts and because i know i cant be the only one with broken clips. after receiving way, WAY overpriced replacement hardware, the process was pretty straight forward.

i found that i had three broken clips in total. the two along the straight part of the rear quarter panel were the easiest to replace. they literally just slipped right in. if you look at the photos in my previous post, you can see there is an angled groove on the back side of the clip. i just followed that groove and they just popped into place.

the last clip that needed to be replaced was on the curve of the rear quarter panel. i had to break the old clip off because unlike the others, this one was stubborn. not sure if its just my car or because its on the curve, but the clearance between the glass and the small post made it impossible to slip the new clip in. i just took a dremel to the back of the clip (only where the post touches, within the angled groove on the back) and it too popped into place.

so, to that youtube comment about having to remove glass to remove/replace clips, completely false.

cheers

The following 2 users liked this post by GhostClowder:
Gpxl (08-05-2020), ssoliman (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 09:39 PM
ssoliman
5th Gear
dude, score! good to hear you got it. good thinking with the dremel