Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Crank pulley wobble and stupidity

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 10:27 AM
Benjamin Tatham
2nd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Crank pulley wobble and stupidity

So, I set out to change out the tensioner, idler pulley, supercharger pulley from stock to 15%, along with belt, plugs, etc.

Used impact to pull off crank pulley, no issues. My pulley puller broke one of the small bolts threaded into the crank pulley. This is where the stupidity begins on my part. I put some all thread in behind the bolt that was pushing the crank because it seemed like the bolt for my puller wasnt long enough. Pulley came off, but I quickly realized I had marred the internal threads of the crank.

I pulled out a tap and chased the threads. Went smooth, didnt seem like I was cutting all new threads- just chasing the existing ones. I put the new pulley on, and now the crank pulley and bolt have some wobble. My belt was really, really tight. After about 50 miles driving the belt jumped a tooth on the supercharger and sliced off a rib of the belt. Looked like maybe the new idler was a little different, in addition to the tensioner new bouncing more than the old one. I changed out the new idler for the old one, got a new belt from Napa. I swear the new belt is a little longer, although they both say Gates k605035.

Engine performance is better than ever- no noticeable shake or imbalance from the engine-hard to tell since I replaced the motor mount at the same time, so vibration overall has been reduced. Bolt and crank pulley are held firmly in place, probably torqued down further than spec. I marked the pulley and the bolt and they haven't budged or backed out at all. At the timing cover, everything looks well aligned. When looking at the crank pulley from top and bottom there is no side to side movement- inner face of crank pulley moves evenly next to the timing cover.

I am at a loss of exactly what my next move is and am hoping to fix myself or with some local help.

So, did I fubar my crank? Is my new crank pulley unbalanced? It is a cheapo $60 ebay special crank pulley. I have a spare used one from a 50k mile car. (oem design from 05-06). Am I going to grenade my engine driving with a wobbly crank pulley?

Ideas? I am trying to track down someone locally who will take a shot at it with me, but dont want to pull crank pulley again until I wrap my head around exactly how deep I am potentially diving.

Pics for attention. I have some video of the pulley- will see if I can upload to youtube and link.

Old 08-05-2020, 02:31 PM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Received 139 Likes on 123 Posts
Hard to say...but why go with an el cheepo crank pulley?

the stock crank pulley is a weak point.

search on pulleys here...there are may threads on this

Old 08-05-2020, 03:56 PM
Benjamin Tatham
2nd Gear
Thinking was that I wanted to replace the really beat up one with something for $60 rather than $400. Updating a lot of other things right now and cant absorb the cost of top shelf everything. Plan was to circle back around and get a good one in 10-15k miles or something.

Put new belt on and new idler. Runs great, tensioner doesnt bounce as much. Still a little wobble from crank pulley, but no strange noises, belt is in alignment. I did a few pulls to 6k rpm and it feels strong with the 15% pulley. Crank bolt is not moving.

Really what I am worried about at this point: Will the crank bolt and pulley not being 100% balanced and concentric wear my engine significantly if I drive it 2-300 miles before fixing? Or are crank imbalance problems more long term concerns and short trips with the car will be ok?

Old 08-05-2020, 05:04 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 232 Likes on 169 Posts
If you want to see what's going on in slow motion, hook up a timing light to #1 spark plug wire and shine it on the pulley. As with life itself, there are no guarantees or warranties. If, as you surmise, the system is out of balance, you risk grenading your engine. My suggestion is to bite the proverbial bullet and purchase a PRW harmonic damper, less expensive than the ATI...or, if you're strapped, install a good, low mileage used OEM one.

The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 05:27 PM
Benjamin Tatham
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
If you want to see what's going on in slow motion, hook up a timing light to #1 spark plug wire and shine it on the pulley. As with life itself, there are no guarantees or warranties. If, as you surmise, the system is out of balance, you risk grenading your engine. My suggestion is to bite the proverbial bullet and purchase a PRW harmonic damper, less expensive than the ATI...or, if you're strapped, install a good, low mileage used OEM one.

I have one with 50k on it from a JCW that appears to be in excellent shape, but I would only like to do it one more time. I ordered the PRW and a crank bolt.

The following 2 users liked this post by Benjamin Tatham:
NC TRACKRAT (08-05-2020), ssoliman (08-05-2020)