Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Car freaking out

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 07:44 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car freaking out

Ok it all started when my car battery randomly died 2 hrs after shutting it off. I check voltage at it was a little over 10 volts. I jumped it, and it started right up. Measured 14 volts at the battery so I know the alternator is working. I drove it right home and the car sat for 2 days. On the third day I went out and it started right up. I then drove it for a few days and on the third day or so the car died a few hrs after shutting it off. I measured the voltage again and it was a little over 9 volts. I pulled the battery, put it on my trickel charger and charged it. I load tested the battery and the battery is good. Today I put in that battery and got my volt meter out to look for Parasitic draw. I had the negative battery cable removed while the positive was on and tight. I then took the positive lead from my volt meter and put it on the negative battery cable while the negative lead was on the negative battery post. I was showing 6.3 amps of draw which is crazy high. I then pulled every fuse under the hood and every fuse in the fuse box in the passenger foot well and the draw didnt change. Anyone deal with this before? Here is were it got weird, I hooked the battery back up and started the car and instantly got a driving lamp malfunction. My brake lights would work, but I had no turn signals. My headlights were on even tho the headlight switch was shut off. My driver and passenger windows would not go down but my sunroof would work. My 4 way flashers didn't work, and my windows would not index when I opened or closed the door. I got out removed the battery cables touched them together for 10 seconds to try and clear things, I started the car and my nav screen didn't come on, I hit the power button and it turned on but I couldn't access and of my info on the screen. I pulled the battery cables again, held them together started the car and the radio come on when I started the car and I could access my stuff on the screen but all the issues with my lights stayed the same as well as the issues with my windows. Also I dont have any dash light for when driving at night. Im guessing some sort of module is bad, can anyone give me some insight as to what to try and do next? Thanks everyone. 2011 MCS

Old 10-04-2020, 08:56 PM
Chernobyl
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Almost certainly the programming in your FRM (footwell module) has been corrupted or it has otherwise failed. The symptoms sound like those experienced by many others: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...solutions.html

Old 10-04-2020, 10:46 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Chernobyl
Almost certainly the programming in your FRM (footwell module) has been corrupted or it has otherwise failed. The symptoms sound like those experienced by many others: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...solutions.html

Sounds like my footwear module is bad, which I kinda questioned but didn't include in my post. Only thing is, I wonder if it could cause the Parasitic draw and drain my battery? Also from a quick Google search it looks like mine might be covered under the extended 10 year 156k mile warranty. Ill have to call tmrw, fingers crossed.