Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Big oil leak, possibly PVC membrane

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 01:04 PM
Yann Rul
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big oil leak, possibly PVC membrane

Hello,

Today at a MINI rally after a fairly high engine run with a cab, huge smoke and smell of oil.
When I opened, I saw oil all over the top of the engine, on the hood, well everywhere in large quantities (N18 engine)

After wiping, oil level and checking for leaks while running the engine, I slowly hit the road at 3000 rpm max. 3km after that comes back, so immobilization of the vehicle.

We were initially thinking about the cylinder head cover gasket because I didn't change it on a timing chain remplacement, but when cranking the engine the oil didn't flow from there but to the PCV diaphragm cap.

My question is: Is it possible for so much oil to squirt and splash all over the engine when running at high revs if the diaphragm breaks? Or am I looking elsewhere too?

Thank you !!

Old 10-25-2020, 01:15 PM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 576 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Yann Rul
Hello,

Today at a MINI rally after a fairly high engine run with a cab, huge smoke and smell of oil.
When I opened, I saw oil all over the top of the engine, on the hood, well everywhere in large quantities (N18 engine)

After wiping, oil level and checking for leaks while running the engine, I slowly hit the road at 3000 rpm max. 3km after that comes back, so immobilization of the vehicle.

We were initially thinking about the cylinder head cover gasket because I didn't change it on a timing chain remplacement, but when cranking the engine the oil didn't flow from there but to the PCV diaphragm cap.

My question is: Is it possible for so much oil to squirt and splash all over the engine when running at high revs if the diaphragm breaks? Or am I looking elsewhere too?

Thank you !!
From what I have read, that seems to be your problem. I think you are able to pickup just the pcv and replace it unlike the n14 where you have to replace the whole valve cover.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:25 PM
Yann Rul
Neutral
Originally Posted by Jason Cornelius
From what I have read, that seems to be your problem. I think you are able to pickup just the pcv and replace it unlike the n14 where you have to replace the whole valve cover.
Hello, thank for your reply !

That’s reassures me a little..! Do you think it’s possible as much oil leaks to this PCV membrane ? On an other forum somebody tells me « To get so much oil out, there is a loss of compression in the lower engine. One or more broken segments ». But I think an error code appears when I hit the road if it’s true ? I’m wrong ?

Tomorrow I´m to the auto garage to try to fix it and also change the cylinder head gasket cover seal.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:38 PM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Hello, thank for your reply !

That’s reassures me a little..! Do you think it’s possible as much oil leaks to this PCV membrane ? On an other forum somebody tells me « To get so much oil out, there is a loss of compression in the lower engine. One or more broken segments ». But I think an error code appears when I hit the road if it’s true ? I’m wrong ?

Tomorrow I´m to the auto garage to try to fix it and also change the cylinder head gasket cover seal.
Try searching for pcv and n18 and see what you get. Honestly, I have the “dreaded” n14, so most of my knowledge and searching has been for it.

Before you pull the head to change the gasket, run a compression test and see what you have across all 4. This might save you some trouble.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:43 PM
Yann Rul
Neutral
I already search N18 and PCV and I can see many case of broken PCV.

Thank for you tips, I ask my garage tomorrow to do this. I’ll keep you informed.

(Please excuse my english, I’m a french guy )

Old 10-25-2020, 01:49 PM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
(Please excuse my english, I’m a french guy )
It’s all good, it hasn’t been too bad.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:45 PM
giorgos
4th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason Cornelius
It’s all good, it hasn’t been too bad.
"too bad"?? I wish my french were as good as his english!

@@Yann Rul : Welcome to the forum! Please keep us posted how it turns out.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:36 AM
Yann Rul
Neutral
Originally Posted by giorgos
"too bad"?? I wish my french were as good as his english!

@@Yann Rul : Welcome to the forum! Please keep us posted how it turns out.
Thank you ! This forum give me so much tips for my timing chain change 2 weeks ago, so it's okay for me to turn to you when I'm in trouble !

And for my English, I try to make my maximum...

Old 11-06-2020, 11:11 AM
Yann Rul
Neutral
Hi !
I have good news ! I’m bring my car today from garage. The problem is the failure of the cylinder head cover gasket !

I didn’t remplace it when I change my timing chain.. What a mistake !

Well, all it’s good ! Thank for you interest !

The following users liked this post:
renchjeep (11-07-2020)