Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Unknown code error on my R55/N12

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 01:56 PM
J_Stark
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unknown code error on my R55/N12

Hello everyone,
I have recently registered to this site since it seems to be one of the best for Mini's with folks that are most knowledgeable.

I have a 2009 Clubman with 83K with the N12 engine and 6 speed tranny, built in Turkey. The car was shipped to Maine from California after it suffered a catastrophic head failure by original owner.I found that the head gasket had failed and several valve seats partially backed out. Got a new head, changed out timing chain, guides, Vanos gears (and all the bolts), and on & on.There is very little on the engine or the chassis that has not been replaced including the stereo because of pixelation loss. ( Pretty pathetic for a car with so little mileage).

After regular inconsistent and misleading trouble codes, car freaking out and going into limp mode practically every time I took it out,I tested and changed out the engine bay fuse and relay control.I found multiple points where there was substantial voltage loss across some of the engine control fuses and erratic voltage on primary engine relays.It seems to have settled down now and not getting that silly code, "DME voltage". Voltage what? Low, high, missing? "Valvetronic motor sluggish"? Why, it's new ? Still not convinced I have chased out the gremlins. Believe me, I have studied and ripped into this car like no other car I have ever owned and rather disappointed.

So, now I have a weird code that regularly pops up.

Anyone know what " E18F.most ring value does not match", means ? I keep getting this and have been unable to find a clear answer.

Another one that pops up with the E18F code is " Air, Mass Flow plausibility" warning. Is that the MAF sensor or the MAP?

I carefully inspected intake manifold boot and the PCV line and found no cracks, splits or dry rot.Inspected vacuum pump and lines and nothing broken there. Seals on intake manifold are new and I had to replace the valve cover since old one was deformed from overheating caused by head gasket failure I replaced the valve cover diaphragm at the same time.These two codes are new since changing out fuse box/relay control. The car runs great overall and averaging around 38 MPG. Such a Prima Donna, this car!

Hope someone can help.

Thanks, Jamie

P.S. Hats off to the guy who dumped the engine in his red chili and custom installed an an Acura engine. Nice freaking job !

Last edited by J_Stark; 01-02-2021 at 05:05 AM. Reason: update
Old 01-02-2021, 05:11 AM
J_Stark
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E18F Most bus error

After some deep digging on the web, I figured out what the MOST bus system is. I am pretty surprised that no one jumped in to help me out since it ultimately was a simple answer and has nothing to do with engine management system.Nearly every modern car in the world has this daisy chain system. What gives?