Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Leaking fuel connector at filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 01:48 PM
houlster
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Leaking fuel connector at filter

Finally chasing down the source of my smelly car. Theres a fuel leak from the top, right of the tank. Pulled the seat out & the access cover over the fuel filter and it's a wet, smelly mess. I'm thinking either the o-ring on the cap, or the fuel line connector. I cleaned it all out and started the car for a few seconds and sure enough, fuel is dripping from the connector at the top of the filter. Not a gusher, but a steady drip & enough to explain the smell, recent drop in mileage and probably some of the drivability issues / stumbling I've had as well.

Any idea how to fix this? Is there an o-ring kit for this connector? Or am I gonna need to buy a filter housing or something?

thx

Old 01-04-2021, 08:00 AM
houlster
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Answering my own question here, but, inside there from furthest inward to out:
7.9mm x 1.9mm o-ring
phenolic like spacer ring
8mm x 2mm o-ring
large rubber retainer ring that snaps in to hold it all in

Pieces weren't too hard to remove in-place. Popped the retainer out with a dental pick, then inserted the fuel line fitting once or twice and the o-rings came out with it. I was able to match the 2 from a metric o-ring kit. Putting things back in was a bit of a pain. I did have to remove the filter basket & lift/angle it up to where I could see into the fitting to make sure they all seated correctly. The final retainer needs a driver to pop it back in easily. Just something about the same diameter so you can push it in square. Kinda like a bearing race. Large end of a 1/4" socket extension worked great.

The fuel fitting was *much* tighter going in, but clicked into place & no leaks.

The following users liked this post:
Here2Go (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 02:50 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Received 1,002 Likes on 617 Posts
@houlster, You have saved me from taking a ton of acetaminophen!
I noticed my fuel line was also leaking at the fuel line connector while doing a filter change. Barely - but enough.
Replaced the 'O'-rings; but for the life of me, ' couldn't figure out how to get the retainer pressed back in.

Thanks!!!