Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Turn signal / electrical issue...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 07:40 AM
banman
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Turn signal / electrical issue...

Gremlins... victim is a 2013 R56 turbo.
Upon starting the car the turn signals cease to operate, but the hazards operate normally.
After shutdown there is a flickering of the dash lights and front yellow lights and tail lights. This continues for a few minutes even after fob removal.
I've observed before starting the engine, but after inserting the fob that the turn signals operate normally, but as soon as the engine is started the turn signal function fails.
the Schwaben scan tool says numerous faults of FRM, turn signals, dash lights, etc.

After reading numerous threads here it seems like this is a fault of the FRM and that the FRM may be on an extended warranty.

Is this really a warranty issue or should I be fixing it myself...?
I could only find extended warranty info for BMW's not for the Mini Cooper -- can someone kindly post a link to the actual MINI warranty info?

Thank you!

Old 03-18-2021, 12:32 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
You have to call the dealer directly for the warranty.

I work on these FRMs on the side. I can test it for you on my car and repair it if needed. Pm me for details if you're in the States. I'm in philly PA.

Old 03-18-2021, 04:45 PM
banman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
You have to call the dealer directly for the warranty.

I work on these FRMs on the side. I can test it for you on my car and repair it if needed. Pm me for details if you're in the States. I'm in philly PA.
Thank you for that!
The car was purchased in May of 2013 so I've either got a couple months left to get it sorted with the dealer...

I've now also discovered that the driver/passenger door windows don't operate when the engines running, and that the high beam feature is lost. The low beam and running lights are on regardless of what position is selected from the head-light switch.

Am I right to assume with these symptoms that the FRM is to blame?

I've also now discovered while being home in a heavy rain that the sun roof or top of the windshield leaks and water is probably running down the drivers A pillar...
Obviously excess moisture isn't going to do the FRM any favors...

Old 03-18-2021, 05:14 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Yup all symptoms of dying frm.

You have to make sure the sunroof drains are open. Water getting in isn't good at all. You may want to remove the FRM so it won't cause further damage.

Old 03-20-2021, 12:48 PM
banman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Yup all symptoms of dying frm.

You have to make sure the sunroof drains are open. Water getting in isn't good at all. You may want to remove the FRM so it won't cause further damage.
Turns out the hose from the sunroof drain to the metal drain tube had come clean off! Never seen such a stupid design before -- wouldn't have guessed I'd be looking for such ****ery if it weren't for these forums! The weather was warm enough today that I could remove and reinstall all that plastic trim non-destructively!

I can't see how the hose can get "vibrated off" the metal tube when it has over an inch of engagement.

What I can envision though is because the car was parked for Dec & Jan while Columbus got an unusual amount of snow that all the snow melting / freezing and thawing and freezing again -- water running down the tube from the warmer roof would freeze along the metal tube and form an ice damn and maybe the ice damn pushed the hose off the metal tube.

Every other car I'm familiar with has a single nylon tube from the drain opening at the sunroof to the exit under the floor. No connections to come loose anywhere...
And it's not like a metal tube design saved any money either -- BMW spent more to engineer an inferior design -- that's tragic...

Hopefully dry carpet and no smell will be my reward soon...

The following users liked this post:
MiniToBe (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 01:03 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Happens all the time lol...

Keep me posted if anything unpleasant happens.

The following users liked this post:
banman (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 02:31 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 506 Likes on 418 Posts
The drain tubes slipping off is a common cause of strange electrical issues. Adding hose clamps or zip ties should keep them from coming off again.

Old 03-23-2021, 11:34 AM
banman
2nd Gear
Just off the phone with the Mini dealer Service Tech. and was told the warranty is extended for ten years 150,000 miles BUT if Mini finds evidence of water intrusion or corrosion on the cable than the extended warranty does not cover the repair. $150+ for diagnostic and another $850+ to replace and program the FRM...

Ouch!
I suppose I should be thankful that she expressed that Mini would be looking for ways not to warranty the repair...

Guess this means I need to access my FRM and see if there's (or remove) any moisture or corrosion before taking it to the stealership!

Old 03-28-2021, 09:55 AM
marinabrian
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by banman
Just off the phone with the Mini dealer Service Tech. and was told the warranty is extended for ten years 150,000 miles BUT if Mini finds evidence of water intrusion or corrosion on the cable than the extended warranty does not cover the repair. $150+ for diagnostic and another $850+ to replace and program the FRM...

Ouch!
I suppose I should be thankful that she expressed that Mini would be looking for ways not to warranty the repair...

Guess this means I need to access my FRM and see if there's (or remove) any moisture or corrosion before taking it to the stealership!
Looking at the FRM, t would appear to be a common problem as there are many on eBay offering a repair service.

I would imagine that the main dealer techs may have seen it al before, and these pictures paint a thousand words...

FRM connector corrosion

Another side to the same coin

Old 03-28-2021, 11:12 AM
banman
2nd Gear
Yup!
That's the corrosion pattern my FRM is showing. Contact cleaner and wire brush and reinstalling resulted in no improvement. But at least I know not to take it the dealership! (insert numerous words the Forum doesn't approve of...)

Also discovered the impressive amount of water the foam under the carpet can hold -- quite the effing sponge!
After removing the drivers seat so I could lift the carpet and inspect I was really shocked to remove nearly a gallon of water from the foot well while the carpet itself felt nearly dry on the surface... The "wet sponge" effect laying against the wire harness connectors of the FRM pretty much guarantees failure from corrosion for any Mini driven in the snow belt...

I only hope I don't have to replace the harness connectors as well -- that would be a fiddly operation with so little slack in the harness...

I also wonder now if the sunroof drain issue was the only source of the water intrusion -- I realize now that after fixing the drain tube failure and thinking I'd dried out the carpet that in fact there's no way I'd dried out the sponge below the carpet, so what I thought was wet carpet after another rain event was probably just the carpet picking up water from the sponge below... I won't be able to tell till I've got the water intrusion issue fixed until I've got the carpet thoroughly dried and can then park the car in the rain and watch what happens.

Old 03-28-2021, 12:05 PM
marinabrian
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by banman
Yup!
That's the corrosion pattern my FRM is showing. Contact cleaner and wire brush and reinstalling resulted in no improvement. But at least I know not to take it the dealership! (insert numerous words the Forum doesn't approve of...)

Also discovered the impressive amount of water the foam under the carpet can hold -- quite the effing sponge!
After removing the drivers seat so I could lift the carpet and inspect I was really shocked to remove nearly a gallon of water from the foot well while the carpet itself felt nearly dry on the surface... The "wet sponge" effect laying against the wire harness connectors of the FRM pretty much guarantees failure from corrosion for any Mini driven in the snow belt...

I only hope I don't have to replace the harness connectors as well -- that would be a fiddly operation with so little slack in the harness...

I also wonder now if the sunroof drain issue was the only source of the water intrusion -- I realize now that after fixing the drain tube failure and thinking I'd dried out the carpet that in fact there's no way I'd dried out the sponge below the carpet, so what I thought was wet carpet after another rain event was probably just the carpet picking up water from the sponge below... I won't be able to tell till I've got the water intrusion issue fixed until I've got the carpet thoroughly dried and can then park the car in the rain and watch what happens.
Admittedly my experiences in these type of water ingress issues are tied to R40 models, however the sunroof drains on that model are prone to the same type of leakage issues, and the carpets also incorporate the same type of cold formed foam sound insulation which has the capacity to hold gallons of water !!

Would it not be possible to obtain a used FRM and code it to your car?

Not difficult but a little more involved than plugging it in, which you could do in order to see if the turn signals work, and test the car wiring plug perhaps?

A bit of digging took me here https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1611288

I hope this helps a little, I'm still finding my feet in terms of the coding aspects of the second generation Mini, but there appears to be a lot you can achieve for very little outlay, and the satisfaction of doing the job.