Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

FRM warranty issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2021 | 11:32 AM
banman
|
2nd Gear
FRM warranty issue?

Have a 2013 MCS with FRM issues see my other post -- https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...cal-issue.html

Just off the phone with the Mini dealer Service Tech. and was told the warranty is extended for ten years 150,000 miles BUT if Mini finds evidence of water intrusion or corrosion on the cable than the extended warranty does not cover the repair. $150+ for diagnostic and another $850+ to replace and program the FRM...

Ouch!
I suppose I should be thankful that she expressed that Mini would be looking for ways not to warranty the repair...

Since water damage is the most likely cause of failure I'm wondering what others experience is on getting Mini to honor their extended warranty has been?

Old 03-24-2021 | 01:03 PM
CharlieDXB
Neutral
I've got a 2012 MCS and as soon as I bought it I had a sh*t load of issues so took it to the dealer to do a once over. Got some grief because it has a rebuilt title, but without even asking the guy said that they'd replaced the FRM under an extended warranty.

A few weeks later (and thanks to an Ultragauge) I found out that the HPFP was on the way out. Phoned the same rep, told him my vin and issues and he whipped it in and replaced the HPFP in a couple of days. Honestly speaking it all felt a bit 'under the table' with the dealer - I didn't fill out any paperwork when I took it in, but they did the job and I have a shiny new part FOC.

Old 03-24-2021 | 01:42 PM
banman
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by CharlieDXB
I've got a 2012 MCS and as soon as I bought it I had a sh*t load of issues so took it to the dealer to do a once over. Got some grief because it has a rebuilt title, but without even asking the guy said that they'd replaced the FRM under an extended warranty.

A few weeks later (and thanks to an Ultragauge) I found out that the HPFP was on the way out. Phoned the same rep, told him my vin and issues and he whipped it in and replaced the HPFP in a couple of days. Honestly speaking it all felt a bit 'under the table' with the dealer - I didn't fill out any paperwork when I took it in, but they did the job and I have a shiny new part FOC.
That's encouraging -- where is your dealer that is anxious to actually work on cars?

We got our Mini from Loveland, CO and while the car was new and under warranty they were pretty nice. After the warranty ended they were noticeably less accommodating...

The dealership in Columbus, OH just absolutely sucks -- I only considered going there because what's broken should be under warranty...
Would like to hear from more people -- if it's just Columbus I'll find a way to complain to Mini USA but I'm also willing to drive to a better dealership...

Old 03-25-2021 | 01:46 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
I work on these FRMs all the time and you always have the option outside of the dealer. With their diagnostic fee, i can program and code a donor module for you. Pm me for details if you want to entertain this option.

Also fine me there
https://www.facebook.com/mini.tobe.7

Old 03-25-2021 | 02:42 PM
banman
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
I work on these FRMs all the time and you always have the option outside of the dealer. With their diagnostic fee, i can program and code a donor module for you. Pm me for details if you want to entertain this option.

Also fine me there
https://www.facebook.com/mini.tobe.7
PM sent

Old 03-27-2021 | 07:50 AM
banman
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by banman
Have a 2013 MCS with FRM issues see my other post -- https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...cal-issue.html

Just off the phone with the Mini dealer Service Tech. and was told the warranty is extended for ten years 150,000 miles BUT if Mini finds evidence of water intrusion or corrosion on the cable than the extended warranty does not cover the repair. $150+ for diagnostic and another $850+ to replace and program the FRM...

Ouch!
I suppose I should be thankful that she expressed that Mini would be looking for ways not to warranty the repair...

Since water damage is the most likely cause of failure I'm wondering what others experience is on getting Mini to honor their extended warranty has been?
Has anyone had success with Mini honoring the extended warranty of the FRM?