Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Jbe Replacement & Fuel Gauge Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 10:15 AM
Capt Falco
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jbe Replacement & Fuel Gauge Issue

Hello

I have a 2009 cooper s. (R56)

Let me start with a quick timeline.
1. Had a problem with random shutoff and not starting
2 resoldered fuel pump relay on Jbe and problem solved (temporarily)
3. Problem returned.
4 fixed sunroof and windshield water leak and replaced Jbe with a used, p/n matching, unit from Spain.
5. Now everything works except for the Fuel gauge.

They tank fills up without any issue but the gauge does not display correctly. After I fill up, I can reset all the dash gauges in the Kombi menu and the gauge will read half full. From there it only goes down to empty. If I fill up and don't do a reset the gauge will still read empty.

I did not find any issues with the wiring from the passenger sending unit to the jbe.

I am wondering if the jbe might still need to be coded to recognize both sending units,, even though I matched the numbers on the unit.

My code reader returns with
931A

Kombi menu 6:
6.00 - 27.6 * **
6.01 - 27.6 1 2
6.02 - 034.0 *** *

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Capt Falco; 04-22-2021 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-07-2024, 03:32 PM
DanielMiniR56
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi. Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I had this same exact issue and couldn't find a thread with a solution, so I wanted to posta solution for this.
So, I was having the same issue after replacing the JBE with another one because the last one was not in good shape, but I manage to fix it finally.
Everything was working with the new JBE except the right fuel level sensor and one error popping out with the air conditioning.
Tested everything, tested the resistance in the right sensor and it was good, tested the main connector to the fuel pump and the cables and the connector were good, but no signal was read from the computer. When I enter "hidden mode" using the odometer, on the item 6 the left resistance value were shown but the right one always marked **. which basically means no resistance or faulty sensor.
I even connected the left sensor to the right one and it still was marked as open (**.).
I thought it was a cable issue, so I was going to dismantle the car to check were was the other end of the cable (the other cable going to the sensor is ground, so I tested and it was working), but then after reading this and another post about the same issue, I got my ODBII tool to see if I was able to fix it.

I bought a few months ago the Creader Elite tool on Amazon with the Mini package to check errors and stuff, so I plugged and start checking the program/Coding feature it has.
As there is not a JBE option or similar, I started to code the ones I thought had something to do with it, like the Instrument cluster, Footwell, and then when I code one option called Security/Confort/etc the complete instrument cluster flashed again and my fuel level raised up to full again (being always 3/4 full every time I reset it after a full tank).

Now the fuel level is working as expected,. like before the JBE change and I can see both resistance levels on the hidden menu of the Mini.

For those who have this tool, it's really easy to program/code on the Mini. I thing the similar tools will do it just as this one.
When you plug the tool to the OBDII port, you start the app and choose Service.
In that screen you have the autodetect function first and then a few items for every specific car brand you have installed. In my case it's BMW, Rolls Royce and Mini as these three comes with the Mini version of the tool.
I choose Mini and then you need to select the model. You have 3 options for F55 and up, R50 to R53 nd R56 and up.
Once I choose R56 and up it will autodetect the car and show you the details of the car.
Then pressing Next it will show you a few list of items, one being Program/Coding. Choose that one and then it appear (after a warning screen) all the modules that can be coded.
I just wen one by one coding what it felt like the right option until this option of Security/Confort/etc. This was the one that did the trick.

I hope this helps anyone with this issue, that seems to me it's a really awful tactic of the car manufacturers to avoid repairing your own car without going to the dealer/service.

Old 08-07-2024, 05:09 PM
Maybe, maybe not
4th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Glad you found a fix.

But the process of finding the solution seems very mysterious. I wouldn't have the nerves to recode so many car functions almost blindly.

Old 08-07-2024, 08:50 PM
Yoshimura 1
5th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
What model unit did you purchase there's several of them.....

Old 08-08-2024, 07:57 AM
DanielMiniR56
Neutral
I bought exactly the LAUNCH X431 obd2 Auto Diagnostic Creader Elite per BMW.
I think this is the v1.0 as I saw now thee is a v2.0.
I don't think you need the latest one as in my case my R56 is from 2006. It comes with free updates when you connect it to a WiFi network. I only did the first update when I bought it, I don't think they will add new functions for the old versions, but maybe for the F55 and above.
I payed for it 159 euros which is 175 US dollars.

Old 08-08-2024, 09:55 AM
sub3622
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hello DanielMiniR56,

May I ask what the problem was with the JBE? and how did you fix it? Was it the fuel pump relay?

Old 08-08-2024, 10:40 AM
DanielMiniR56
Neutral
The car has an issue with the fuel pressure when was hot.
When it was cold the car started without issues and drove fine, for about 30 or 40 minutes (until the engine bay got hot) and then stopped working and refused to be started again until it was cold again. The fuel pressure when hot was practically 0..
If I leave it cool off for about 30 minutes then the car started again, and then stopped after 15 or 20 minutes when got hot again. It didn't matter if I was driving or standing by. When the engine bay got hot, the car stopped.
We changed the high fuel pressure pump and nothing, changed the fuel pump in the fuel tank and nothing. I read about the issue with the fuel pump relay in the JBE so I opened it up and changed it. Same issue still there.
I took it to a guy that was recommended to work on electric and electronic issues on cars and he found the issue was a malfunctioning relay inside the engine bay. I cannot say which one because he didn't told me exactly, but he told me that a small relay inside a box was causing the issue.
After that as when I opened the JBE it was not looking great I decide to change it with a better one. So I bought a used one with the same numbers, codes and year and replace it, and everything worked except the issue with the right fuel level sensor.

Old 08-08-2024, 11:02 AM
sub3622
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DanielMiniR56
The car has an issue with the fuel pressure when was hot.
When it was cold the car started without issues and drove fine, for about 30 or 40 minutes (until the engine bay got hot) and then stopped working and refused to be started again until it was cold again. The fuel pressure when hot was practically 0..
If I leave it cool off for about 30 minutes then the car started again, and then stopped after 15 or 20 minutes when got hot again. It didn't matter if I was driving or standing by. When the engine bay got hot, the car stopped.
We changed the high fuel pressure pump and nothing, changed the fuel pump in the fuel tank and nothing. I read about the issue with the fuel pump relay in the JBE so I opened it up and changed it. Same issue still there.
I took it to a guy that was recommended to work on electric and electronic issues on cars and he found the issue was a malfunctioning relay inside the engine bay. I cannot say which one because he didn't told me exactly, but he told me that a small relay inside a box was causing the issue.
After that as when I opened the JBE it was not looking great I decide to change it with a better one. So I bought a used one with the same numbers, codes and year and replace it, and everything worked except the issue with the right fuel level sensor.

Ohh i see, so the issue was just a relay. I thought the problem was the JBE. Thanks for your response.

Old 08-08-2024, 02:39 PM
Maybe, maybe not
4th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by DanielMiniR56
I bought exactly the LAUNCH X431 obd2 Auto Diagnostic Creader Elite per BMW.
I think this is the v1.0 as I saw now thee is a v2.0.
I just bought the Launch v2.0 for $140. I am amazed by how many functions the v2.0 scan tool has. At the same time, I also purchased the Foxwell NT710 scan tool for $221, but I returned it because the Launch scan tool was superior by far (not even close).

Old 08-08-2024, 03:02 PM
DanielMiniR56
Neutral
Originally Posted by Maybe, maybe not
I just bought the Launch v2.0 for $140. I am amazed by how many functions the v2.0 scan tool has. At the same time, I also purchased the Foxwell NT710 scan tool for $221, but I returned it because the Launch scan tool was superior by far (not even close).
Fantastic!
Yeah it has a lot of functions. In my model (R56 2006) not also I can check and clear errors, program and coding new components, but also has a function to set a car battery replacement and also some personalization functions such as set up long press on the remote control to open/close the windows and fold mirrors, turn on/off sidelights and some other things I don;t remember right now.
Check on Personalization menu after selecting the Mini to see all the options you can personalize on your car.

The following users liked this post:
Maybe, maybe not (08-08-2024)