Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

heater hoses connection at the firewall

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 10:33 PM
Briscoec
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
heater hoses connection at the firewall

Finishing up an enormous list of recommendations for 100K mile service. I was trying to replace all hoses before I hand this car off the grand daughter in a few months. The supply and return hoses are stuck like crazy at the fire wall. Unclip and gently twisting does nothing. I hate getting into the work of removing and break the heater core. I have sprayed with PB Blaster, silicon, and WD40 to help it loosen, to no avail. Should I risk cutting the hose so I can grab it close to the fitting and twist it better.

Old 05-21-2021, 04:49 PM
mike_miniman
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi - These do not twist off, and if I recall correctly they are keyed, and I found as you are that they are NOT east to get off. I just changed mine a few weeks ago (07 MCS). I founds I needed to wiggle them (side to side seemed to work best) for a little while and pull at the same time. Eventually they started to move a bit. Best of luck!

Old 05-21-2021, 09:08 PM
Briscoec
2nd Gear
Thanks, I'll try it one more time. I was scared I'd break the heater core or something bad.

Old 05-22-2021, 02:56 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 576 Likes on 432 Posts
I just had the fun of taking my cooling system apart to replace the water pipe on the backside of the engine. A good set of pick tools should help break the seal.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:42 AM
Briscoec
2nd Gear
I had skipped the heater hoses because the new removal information came in after I buttoned up the back side area to said hoses. Well, just like usual one of them began to drip. That is so typical right? I'm sure it was from mucking with it.
I will try and take some pics and post because they are difficult, but unless you know their plug-in design it makes for impossible work. I'll come back next week and post. I did not have the proper hose for auto tranny and it won't be here until Monday. Thank you Jason, the pick tool was helpful. However, Mike your information is critical, their design does not allow twisting motion. Only wiggling side to side and up and down.
Blessings to both you gents.

The following users liked this post:
mike_miniman (06-04-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 08:35 PM
Briscoec
2nd Gear
Replacing heater hose

I wanted to follow up how to remove the heater hose at the firewall. They have one of those push-on type connectors that has the locking wire. When you try and remove this hose you can't rotate in any circular motion, like we normally think when removing a hose. You pull the keeper wire completely with small hook tool or screw driver. Then using something to grab fitting (channel locks) you just wiggle it side to side, or even up and down. It takes a little patience, but it will slowly break the seal that it has. It's actually a brilliant design. I have attached 2 pics.

If you look at the connector on the hose end you can see the cut outs on the 3 and 9 o'clock position. That slot fits over the heater tubing at the firewall. If you look at heater tubing at firewall pic you can see one the small tabs that the connection slides onto. Each of the tabs are different sizes, which keeps you from putting it on 180° off.

I dipped my finger in dawn and applied it to the rubber seals. I'm talking about a dabbed finger amount, don't pour in into the hose. I'm sure others have used other lubricants. There are two seals, you can see them if you look closely at hose connector pic. Also, leave the metal clip engaged. Do not pull the clip off, as you would need to for removal. When you have the tabs lined up it will click into place. You will feel it and hear it. This is really a brilliant design.

I hope this helps others.

Heater tubing coming out of firewall

Hose connector

Old 12-22-2022, 07:50 AM
yellowkid
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello -- i'm trying to do this job now -- better from under the car or above?? thank you!

Old 12-22-2022, 02:03 PM
mike_miniman
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would recommend from above - they will drip coolant.

Old 12-22-2022, 04:17 PM
Briscoec
2nd Gear
Yeah from above

Most definitely from above. I used a pick tool to pull the clip out. Then wiggle side to side with channel locks. No twisting. Be patient, it'll come off.