Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

O2 sensor Engine codes, and DTC won't turn on

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 04:07 PM
badafada
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
O2 sensor Engine codes, and DTC won't turn on

New happy owner of a 2010 Clubman S here and new to this forum. Engine is N14. About 95k miles.

I got this car in Florida and drove it back to the northeast where I am now. A mechanic in Florida did an inspection there before I got and everything checked out. The serpentine belt was changed (old one wasn't terrible but was starting show small ribbing cracks). There was no evidence of any leaks at all which I was happy to hear.

About midway through Florida I got the engine light and also sporadically got the brake warning light. The car "felt" fine and I was able to drive it back the whole way with no issues, other than I couldn't turn on traction control (DTC button). The brakes and rotors are new (within the last 1k miles). Car was an absolute pleasure to drive and I took the scenic route through Blue ridge parkway. However now that I'm back, I want to figure out why these lights are coming on. I ran my OTC tool to my phone and got the following codes (pasted at bottom). Only the top 2 say "confirmed" which appear to be O2 sensor codes. The others I'm guessing may be BMW specific codes? I'm not sure.

As far as service history of the vehicle, I'm not too sure other than what carfax says (I've attached that as pdf)

OBD Scan Results:
Car Scanner ELM OBD2
DTC report
Selected brand: Mini
VIN: WMWMM3C55ATP94473

============1==============
P0141
Raw code: 0141
ECU: Engine control unit
OBDII: Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) 2, bank 1, heater control - circuit malfunction
Mini: O2 Sensor Heater Circuit

============2==============
P0136
Raw code: 0136
OBDII: Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) 2, bank 1 - circuit malfunction
Mini: O2 Sensor Circuit

============3==============
2A56
Raw code: 2A56
Status: Test is inhibited by other DTC, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle

============4==============
523B
Raw code: 523B
ECU: Transmission control unit
Status: Test is inhibited by other DTC, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request

============5==============
2A56
Raw code: 2A56
ECU: Engine control unit #1
Status: Test is inhibited by other DTC, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle

============6==============
2A7F
Raw code: 2A7F
Status: Test conditions are met, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle

============7==============
2FD7
Raw code: 2FD7
Status: Test is inhibited by other DTC, Validated and stored in non volatile memory

============8==============
523B
Raw code: 523B
ECU: Transmission control unit
Status: Test is inhibited by other DTC, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request

============9==============
5DAE
Raw code: 5DAE
ECU: DSC/Traction control
Status: Pending fault present during this driving cycle, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle

============10==============
5DAE
Raw code: 5DAE
ECU: ABS/DSC
Status: Pending fault present during this driving cycle, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle

============11==============
A8AD
Raw code: A8AD
ECU: Central module (in driver's footwell) (FRM)
Status: Test conditions are met, Validated and stored in non volatile memory

============12==============
9CB6
Raw code: 9CB6

============13==============
A8C1
Raw code: A8C1
Status: Test conditions are met, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request

============14==============
A8C0
Raw code: A8C0
Status: Test conditions are met, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request

============15==============
A8B6
Raw code: A8B6

============16==============
A8AA
Raw code: A8AA

============17==============
A8AB
Raw code: A8AB

============18==============
9CB4
Raw code: 9CB4
Status: Pending fault present, Validated and stored in non volatile memory

============19==============
9CB3
Raw code: 9CB3
Status: Pending fault present, Validated and stored in non volatile memory

============20==============
A8B1
Raw code: A8B1

============21==============
A8B0
Raw code: A8B0

============22==============
A8A8
Raw code: A8A8

============23==============
E72B
Raw code: E72B
ECU: Climate/heater/Air conditioning
Status: Test is inhibited by other DTC, Validated and stored in non volatile memory

============24==============
E72C
Raw code: E72C
ECU: Climate/heater/Air conditioning

Old 07-09-2021, 12:11 PM
mrbean
5th Gear
Received 166 Likes on 126 Posts
Code "5DAE" and the brake warning may be low brake fluid level. Check that first.
I would just clear all the others and see what comes back after a few days of driving it around. Often times codes pop up but don't really manifest into a real problem.
Also, doing this will help clarify which of those codes are causing the check engine light.

Old 07-09-2021, 07:01 PM
badafada
1st Gear
@mrbean thanks for the tip about brake fluid, I will check that.

I did clear all the codes and then immediately the brake warning lights on the dashboard came right back on... however the check engine light stayed off for about a day's worth of driving. This afternoon it came back on:
P0141
Raw code: 0141
OBDII: Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) 2, bank 1, heater control - circuit malfunction
Mini: O2 Sensor Heater Circuit

Interestingly the P0136 (also some kind of O2 sensor code) did not come back on yet.

Should I look into inspecting/replacing the O2 sensor?

Old 07-15-2021, 08:37 PM
badafada
1st Gear
Just an update here... Brake fluid was nearly empty (not sure for how long). I filled it up to almost MAX, and since then it has dropped a bit but I think that's because of the fluid getting into the system. All the brake lights are now off. The engine code is also gone for now, but I'm not convinced that Oxygen sensor 2 bank 1 is working. Seems like the sensor doesn't read any info from there.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:54 PM
badafada
1st Gear
Update here – the codes did go away when I topped off the brake fluid, however the warning came on again about 300 miles or so later. I checked an yes it's low again on fluid. I topped it off and the brake codes turned off. Where can I look to spot the leak? Everything with the hoses and the compartment around the fluid container look dry and leak-free.