Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2009 Clubman S, crank but no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 06:40 PM
Zkrit
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Clubman S, crank but no start

Looking at buying a 2009 Clubman S. 92k miles. Seller claims he's recently replaced waterpump, timing job, head job (cause timing chain broke) and a new clutch. Said it was running fine other than it being hard to shift after driving a while (maybe master cylinder needs bled or bad). They let it sit for a while then it wouldnt start. I went to look at it today. Tried to start on jump box. Would only get the "service" light and just did the normal crank for a while but nothing (guessing jump box might not be good enough either). I did not notice if there was IBS on neg cable. Gonna go back out there with compression tester to check compression. Car is really clean inside and out so I'd like to try and fix it. Wanted to get yalls thoughts on getting into this one. I've had a 2012 that was totaled when someone rear ended us so am familiar with the car. Had to do clutch and master cylinder, fuel pump and coils on that car so familiar with issues they come with.

I've wrenched enough to know air fuel spark gets me there so know to check the regular culprits (relays, fuses, fuel pump and pressure), but wanted to see what yall thought about worst case scenarios. Worst case, timing jumped again, needs a head and timing job. I can buy the car for $2k, two owner car, no accidents, and looks like it was well cared for considering all the interior parts are nice and clean, not worn, etc and outside only has a few dents and paint is nice and clean. I would guess worst case, I get a junk yard motor and swap, but would think these days, the timing kit and tools shouldnt be too pricey assuming pistons and heads arent trashed. I used to flip old bmws, so done a few timing/head jobs back in the day. Looking to buy this for highway miles because putting too many on our daily driver. Thanks and Cheers!