Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

R53 HVAC blower motor - possible to lubricate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 03:48 PM
JeffM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 HVAC blower motor - possible to lubricate?

I'm hoping maybe someone has had success with this in the past, and can provide advice. I've got an R53 '04 Cooper S, ~142,000 miles. The HVAC fan has recently started squeaking a little bit, usually after about 20 minutes driving with the AC on. I've done some searching here and have accessed the squirrel cage end of the assembly up through the cabin air filter area (under glove box), and tried to get some lubricant on the bearing or bushing just behind the plastic fan. That didn't make much if any difference, so I'm guessing my issue may be elsewhere - there must be a second bearing or bushing, probably at the other end of the motor? Anyone know whether that's possible to get at (even with just a finger tip or stick) without disassembling the whole dash as required to replace the blower assembly?

Old 07-30-2021, 08:36 AM
mrbean
5th Gear
Received 168 Likes on 128 Posts
I've done it before on other cars with some success. The bearing that usually makes noise is the one directly behind the squirrel cage since it's under more load and exposed to more contaminates than the bearing at the back of the motor.
However, I've run into two issues:
1. Since the bearing is behind the squirrel cage it's difficult to get oil directly on it. So, the temptation is to squirt lots of oil in there and hope some makes it in.
2. If you squirt too much oil on the bearings it can contaminate the brushes in the motor and short them out.