Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Word of warning - Rock Auto

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 12:30 PM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 581 Likes on 467 Posts
Word of warning - Rock Auto

Just a warning to anyone ordering from Rock Auto -- First problem: I have been attempting to buy from them (inner ball joints for my '04). They have shipped me the wrong part twice. Second problem: There is absolutely no way to contact anyone at Rock Auto about the problem -- no customer service, no phone number, no email. Third, and even more aggravating, problem: Even though they've shipped the wrong part twice, in order to get a refund, I am required to pay postage to ship it back. I'm not sure who came up with this particular method of managing customers but my recommendation is stay away from Rock Auto at all costs.

Old 07-30-2021, 12:41 PM
jjcsnlynn
5th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
I love RockAuto. Most times I have problems they take care if me. Yes sometimes I have to pay shipping (not always) but overall very happy. Beats paying 50-75% more at auto parts plus tax.

The following users liked this post:
Ocramida (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 01:30 PM
Ocramida
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Also got the wrong part, but...

Originally Posted by cooper48
Just a warning to anyone ordering from Rock Auto -- First problem: I have been attempting to buy from them (inner ball joints for my '04). They have shipped me the wrong part twice. Second problem: There is absolutely no way to contact anyone at Rock Auto about the problem -- no customer service, no phone number, no email. Third, and even more aggravating, problem: Even though they've shipped the wrong part twice, in order to get a refund, I am required to pay postage to ship it back. I'm not sure who came up with this particular method of managing customers but my recommendation is stay away from Rock Auto at all costs.
The automated return/replacement system worked well and I never had issues with refunds or replacements and one time they simply told me not to worry about returning the wrong part. In one case I had to claim warranty on a part and the automated system worked like a charm and they shipped the part express, no charge. IMO, not to downplay your experience, but you may be the exception, or it may have been a bad day?

FYI, I use Rock Auto for my son's Suzuki, so maybe it would be different for a Mini? I usually go to Mini-specific retailers for my F54 and F57, so...

Old 07-30-2021, 01:34 PM
Mineeee
3rd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Is this bit not working?
https://www.rockauto.com/orderstatus/

Also a brief trawl through the FAQs found
"Question not answered above, nor on the other tabs at the top? Email us at service@rockauto.com"

The reason prices are relatively low is because they dont have to pay customer service reps. Also on the website is contact info including a phone number, but it will probably take a lot of patience to get through to anyone who can help you any better than the IT automaated system.
https://www.rockauto.com/help/?page=6

RockAuto, LLC Corporate Headquarters
6418 Normandy Lane
Suite 100
Madison, WI 53719
1-608-661-1376

Last edited by Mineeee; 07-30-2021 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:48 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 232 Likes on 169 Posts
I, too, received the wrong part from Rock Auto...completely wrong as though someone just threw my part into the wrong box and I got the other guy's order. Automated madness ensued. No tracking number or status for the replacement part. It finally arrived a week later. From now on, I compare their price + shipping to what I can get locally and, if I need it bad enough, I'll pay a little more to be sure I'm getting the right part. If I'm not in a hurry and their total price is significantly higher, I'll take a chance.

Old 07-30-2021, 02:22 PM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 581 Likes on 467 Posts
Originally Posted by Mineeee
Is this bit not working?
https://www.rockauto.com/orderstatus/

Also a brief trawl through the FAQs found
"Question not answered above, nor on the other tabs at the top? Email us at service@rockauto.com"

The reason prices are relatively low is because they dont have to pay customer service reps. Also on the website is contact info including a phone number, but it will probably take a lot of patience to get through to anyone who can help you any better than the IT automaated system.
https://www.rockauto.com/help/?page=6

RockAuto, LLC Corporate Headquarters
6418 Normandy Lane
Suite 100
Madison, WI 53719
1-608-661-1376
Yes, that works but only to return a part. Then you have to go through about 6 barriers to complete the request. My gripe is having to pay return shipping on a part that was mistakenly sent to me (after being sent the wrong part twice). I sent the original part back (no charge) then received exactly the same part again for which I now have to pay shipping to return. That charge is automatically deducted from the refund with no alternative. Poor customer service is one thing. No customer service is another.

Old 07-30-2021, 04:22 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
I've used RockAuto for years and never had any issues.

The only issue I had was buying cheap crap... Bought handbrake cables for my MINI and chose the ACDelco ones, can't be that bad, right? Turns out they're made in China... My car is stored during winter, so they saw a whopping 3 months of the previous year and everything rubbber was crumbling to dust. I've bought four shocks and steering damper (KYB), brakes, etc, for my '94 Pickup a couple months ago and everything was fine.

Meanwhile, I had a big vendor on here mess up oil filters on two different orders years apart, wrong rear swaybar, etc. **** happens.