Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

DSC light comes on with hard accelleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 05:13 AM
supercoopers
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Minirox
As I've said before thats the problem with fly by wire. Some do and some don't. I have all the mods and none of the problems. Not rubbing it in just stating facts. You build two cars the same day one has little glitches the other doesn't. Modern technology anin't it great. It is if you have one that works it ain't if you have one that don't.
Minirox,

I'm not trying to be funny but with a 15% Alta pulley you wouldn't be seeing 18psi of boost which, by consensus, is the upper threshold for MAP sensitivity. If you tried putting on a 19% pulley with an uprated idle tensioner, then I think that you would be experiencing the same problems. I had a 20% pulley on my car before (BBR conversion) and with the horrendous belt slipping I was experiencing, my car was not making nearly as much boost as it does now (19 PSI thanks to Roland @ GT Tuning in the UK ) My car did not do this when it was running 16PSI and has only started
this trait since my latest pulley install and the onset of colder weather.

You are right about the fly by wire throttle though. It does introduce a whole range of annoying variables that can change from car to car

Again, I'll let you know how my fix turns out.

Henry

Old 02-17-2005, 07:50 AM
Cupid
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by supercoopers
The only option would be to replace the MAP sensor with one which supports a higher boost pressure threshold and then get a custom remap to take best advantage of this. I am getting a Subaru STI map sensor for my car which shares the same dimensions and voltage (5V) as the stock mini/Bosch item. I'll let you know how I get on

Cheers,

Henry
Thanks, I am waiting for it. Let us know what happens

Old 02-19-2005, 04:15 AM
supercoopers
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Cupid
Thanks, I am waiting for it. Let us know what happens
I will keep you updated. My MAP sensor comes from Subaru in early March...they are on backorder

Henry

Old 02-19-2005, 11:03 AM
supercoopers
3rd Gear
It looks as though Mini Madness is aware of the MAP sensitivity issues and sells this product to possibly eliminate it:

http://www.mini-madness.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=220
Could be worth further investigation if 'my' fix doesn't solve the issue.

Henry

Old 02-19-2005, 08:37 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone used this?

Originally Posted by supercoopers
It looks as though Mini Madness is aware of the MAP sensitivity issues and sells this product to possibly eliminate it:

http://www.mini-madness.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=220
Could be worth further investigation if 'my' fix doesn't solve the issue.

Henry
Basically, it lies to the computer, saying that there is less pressure than there really is. The ECU will calculate the fuel based on the MAP, and lean conditions may occur. The Mini runs so rich, this may not be a problem, but I'd love to learn if anyone has punched a hole in a piston using something like this.....

Matt

Old 02-20-2005, 07:07 AM
supercoopers
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
Basically, it lies to the computer, saying that there is less pressure than there really is. The ECU will calculate the fuel based on the MAP, and lean conditions may occur. The Mini runs so rich, this may not be a problem, but I'd love to learn if anyone has punched a hole in a piston using something like this.....

Matt
Matt,

This would be a very real concern. Especially for someone running a MTH reflash like me. It runs too lean at the top end as it is (it's pinking/detonating at WOT which is NOT good...)

Anyway, I would be weary of using any 'gadgets' that fool the ECU into using piggybacked adapted values.

I think that the only way to get around this problem is to go back to the drawing board. Scooby STI Map sensor and full custom remap (if needed) to take advantage of the higher boost threshold.

Hold on tight, a fix is coming

Henry