Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

DSC light comes on with hard accelleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 09:27 AM
berky
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DSC light comes on with hard accelleration

my MCS (19% and CAI and injectors) finally is past the 1200 mi. break-in so i went pedal to the metal thru the gears and my DSC light came on and stayed on. i pulled over and shut off the car and it went away. the next day i tried it again and it came on and stayed on also. has anyone experienced this?

Old 01-08-2005, 09:58 AM
TwitchINC
2nd Gear
Check you tire pressure, my has done it when the air is low!

Old 01-08-2005, 04:14 PM
LOVEDOC
1st Gear
That is interesting. My dsc light flickers on and off occasionally when I am accelerating fast through the gears on irregular road surfaces only. Feedback? Thankyou.:smile:

Old 01-08-2005, 04:24 PM
cr_03_mcs
2nd Gear
Flickering on and off means that its kicked in for that moment that you lost traction. I've never had it go on and stay on though.

Old 01-08-2005, 04:50 PM
115hp
5th Gear
How about the flat tire monitor, did that come on and stay on too?

Old 01-08-2005, 05:32 PM
LOVEDOC
1st Gear
Thankyou CR03MCS!

Old 01-08-2005, 06:00 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yea, mine comes on all the time when I get on it in the slightest, but the staying on thing is not right. This is really something your dealer needs to look into asap.

Old 01-08-2005, 06:36 PM
lotsie
Banned
Ok it is bad if the light stays on,but if you get your foot in it,it will go off if the wheels spin,if you don't like that,turn it off.

Old 01-09-2005, 07:21 AM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
I find the DSC babysitter annoying, anyway. You're better off without it.
I just had a Quaife limited slip installed. Now I can spin both front wheels.

Old 01-09-2005, 11:24 AM
LombardStreet
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Veni_Vidi_Vici
Now I can spin both front wheels.
LOL!

Old 01-10-2005, 04:13 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's the deal guys: I get the same thing. It started when the temps got cold. If I floor it and run it to redline, the DSC light will come on and stay on for the rest of the trip (until I shut off and restart). Basically, the DSC turns itself off. Apparently, the MCS has a MAP sensor that triggers this when the boosts hits around 18lbs - which is a reading that I guess the MINI ECU doesn't recognize - it's off the chart in other words. It's basically a harmless thing except you won't have DSC for the rest of the trip. Yet most people with mods turn it off anyway so I guess it doesn't matter. :smile:

Hope that helps!

Old 01-10-2005, 05:43 PM
dkstone
4th Gear
Originally Posted by greatgro
Here's the deal guys: I get the same thing. It started when the temps got cold. If I floor it and run it to redline, the DSC light will come on and stay on for the rest of the trip (until I shut off and restart). Basically, the DSC turns itself off. Apparently, the MCS has a MAP sensor that triggers this when the boosts hits around 18lbs - which is a reading that I guess the MINI ECU doesn't recognize - it's off the chart in other words. It's basically a harmless thing except you won't have DSC for the rest of the trip. Yet most people with mods turn it off anyway so I guess it doesn't matter. :smile:

Hope that helps!
SO that's what THDUKE does when I get on it hard, this only started after 18K miles and JCW install, all attemps in the last 55K miles to correct this has failed, it only happens in first and second when I bounce it off the rev limiter so I can live with that. BTW greatgro I am glad that you now have a car that drives like a car should mine has been that way since the day I got it never had any software issues.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:00 AM
berky
2nd Gear
Thanks Greatgro

I had a feeling that it was a response to exceeding the parameters of the MAP. The ECU does not know what to do with that reading so it lights the DSC light to tell me there is something wrong. Since you seem knowledgeable regarding this matter I assume that the MAP can not be changed and i will have to live with the light if I exceed the MAP. I can live with that. The car really screams, much faster than I anticipated.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:16 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by berky
I had a feeling that it was a response to exceeding the parameters of the MAP. The ECU does not know what to do with that reading so it lights the DSC light to tell me there is something wrong. Since you seem knowledgeable regarding this matter I assume that the MAP can not be changed and i will have to live with the light if I exceed the MAP. I can live with that. The car really screams, much faster than I anticipated.
As of now, we have to live with it. It's only in these winter months where you'll hit that kind of boost. BTW, what injectors do you have? If you already have the 19% and injectors, I HIGHLY recommend the GIAC software for only $325. It will really transform your MINI to a high-end performance vehicle with it's refined smoothness and power delivery. Plus I took 11.5% off a time acceleration run. Read more here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...2&page=1&pp=25

Old 01-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Cupid
2nd Gear
I have only the %15 pulley and the superchips but I have the same thing. I went to the dealer and asked what caused this problem.

The answer was something about the DSC can not get info from the ECU. And they said that the solution for this is the new software.. I will try what they say.. If the result is positive, I'll post em...

Old 01-12-2005, 07:01 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cupid
And they said that the solution for this is the new software.. I will try what they say.. If the result is positive, I'll post em...
I had the new software and it sucked! It really messed up my car! And, BTW, my DSC light would still come on...in fact come to think of it, I'm not sure this used to happen before I got the new software!

Anyway....I HIGHLY recommend you stay away from the new software!

Old 01-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Nobull60
6th Gear
Just turn it off. More fun to drive it that way.....

Old 01-13-2005, 09:26 AM
supercoopers
3rd Gear
I have this problem as well

Oh well, I guess it's just the price you have to pay when you have soooo much ooomph!

Henry

Old 01-14-2005, 08:02 AM
Rolandgttuning
Neutral
Also when pressure exceeds a certain point it can pull up DTC P0108 "Map pressure circuit high" You can reset it with scan tool but will come back as soon as you exceed it again. Replacement sensors (upstream or downsream)
doesnt cure it. Also is the same with std. MTH or other software.?
Interestingly the manual specifies the sensors maximum pressure sensing as
36psi absolute.(therefore 21psi gage pressure) perhaps the ecu itself limits traction above 18psi even though the sensor is happy to carry on?
Regards Roland

Old 02-08-2005, 07:11 PM
van868
2nd Gear
dsc light

i experienced the same thing dsc comes off and service light comes on as well. it happend that some of my wires on the coil was loose. the ecu will disengaged dsc when it senses that not all of the wires are connected well that what i think??? i reattached all of my wires and plugs firmly and it went away.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Cupid
2nd Gear
do everybody have the same problem? And is there a solution for this?

Old 02-16-2005, 12:42 PM
supercoopers
3rd Gear
The only option would be to replace the MAP sensor with one which supports a higher boost pressure threshold and then get a custom remap to take best advantage of this. I am getting a Subaru STI map sensor for my car which shares the same dimensions and voltage (5V) as the stock mini/Bosch item. I'll let you know how I get on

Cheers,

Henry

Old 02-16-2005, 09:58 PM
aminicooper
4th Gear
I had the same issue where the DSC came on and stayed on. I wasn't under hard acceleration load during the time I started the car to the point where I saw the light on. I tried turning it off, but it stayed on, until I restarted the car. The road condition was wet, but not overly slippery and I wasn't spinning the wheels at all, but the light came on.

I did check the air pressure after letting the car cool down, the right rear tire was about 3-4lbs lower then the other 3 tires, that's the only thing I noticed. No tire pressure monitor light.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:13 PM
03rzaMINI
1st Gear
I agree, just turn it off. It is much more funner to have full control of the car.

Old 02-17-2005, 12:54 AM
Minirox
3rd Gear
As I've said before thats the problem with fly by wire. Some do and some don't. I have all the mods and none of the problems. Not rubbing it in just stating facts. You build two cars the same day one has little glitches the other doesn't. Modern technology anin't it great. It is if you have one that works it ain't if you have one that don't.

Quick Reply: DSC light comes on with hard accelleration