Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Key fob replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 08:09 AM
tjkru
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Key fob replacement

2009 MINI Clubman
I received only one key fob with this car. Other than a dealer is there any way to get a second key fob? I was quoted $200 for the fob and another $160 for the key that goes with it.
  • Do I have to buy both the key and the fob for a second set of keys? I can unlock the doors and start the car with just the fob.
  • If I do get just the fob is there a way to attach anything to have a loop on it to add a ring for my house keys other than getting a knock off key for the slot?
  • Can the key portion be cut by a locksmith if I do get a knock off key for a few bucks?
If I have to I will pay the $360 + tax for the key but if there is a valid way to lower the cost I would like to know.

Old 08-25-2021, 02:29 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by tjkru
2009 MINI Clubman
I received only one key fob with this car. Other than a dealer is there any way to get a second key fob? I was quoted $200 for the fob and another $160 for the key that goes with it.
  • Do I have to buy both the key and the fob for a second set of keys? I can unlock the doors and start the car with just the fob.
You don't have to. you can lock/unlock using the fob BUT having the insert key is good in case you loose the first key set.
  • If I do get just the fob is there a way to attach anything to have a loop on it to add a ring for my house keys other than getting a knock off key for the slot?
you can always super glue the ring where the key insert is BUT may break in your pocket or something. I have many used key blades, I can send you one if you want (just pay postage from PA 19111)
  • Can the key portion be cut by a locksmith if I do get a knock off key for a few bucks?
I found few vendors on Ebay that can cut the key if you just send them a picture of yours PLUS a blank key blade

If I have to I will pay the $360 + tax for the key but if there is a valid way to lower the cost I would like to know.
This is always another way. I personally invested time and money to get to the bottom of this lol. I can unlock used keys and program them (provided I have the CAS, original fob or DME). The 200 is just about right from the dealer I could do it for a bit less. the blade is actually cheaper than this. When ordering keys online was okay, my blade was less than $40!

Also, keep in mind that if you have comfort access, they keyfob price shoots up and you MUST visit the dealer to get the key activated for this option. I could also do these