Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Thermostat housing

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 03:21 PM
Midwestclubman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thermostat housing

Happened to check last week and found coolant on top of my transmission, have ordered parts to redo most of the cooling system. Today the thermostat housing arrived and when I was looking at it I noticed that the thermostat is not quite 100 percent centered. Wanted to confirm my suspicion I grabbed a flashlight and was able to see a sliver of light. Is this okay or is the housing design made to have a perfect seal?

Old 09-15-2021, 07:45 AM
thefarside
4th Gear
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Just guessing what you mean by a "sliver of light".

In order for the cooling system to function correctly, T-stats never seal 100%, some coolant always needs to bypass the radiator and return. Otherwise no heat reaches the T-stat, T-stat never opens, engine burns up.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:39 AM
Midwestclubman
1st Gear
While I appreciate that you have taken the time to reply, that is not an accurate statement. The purpose of a t-stat is to block off the coolant from the radiator until the engine is warming up. This is why for some vehicles and t-stat models you will find a recommendation to drill a tiny hole to allow for air bubbles to pass through and escape.

Old 09-15-2021, 02:39 PM
Briscoec
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Where is part from?

Did you purchase you TS housing from Amazon? I replaced one with their part and it was one week before I was replacing the coolant temp sensor (not a big deal). However a month later I was replacing the housing because the sensor that is part of the housing went out. What a pain in the butt. I went back with OEM because I had heard others say g the same thing about some of the Chinese knock offs. You should consider changing the water bypass tube while you're there.

Old 09-16-2021, 05:35 AM
thefarside
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Briscoec
Did you purchase you TS housing from Amazon? I replaced one with their part and it was one week before I was replacing the coolant temp sensor (not a big deal). However a month later I was replacing the housing because the sensor that is part of the housing went out. What a pain in the butt. I went back with OEM because I had heard others say g the same thing about some of the Chinese knock offs. You should consider changing the water bypass tube while you're there.
Suggest you buy from known vendors such as Pelican, ECS, FCP and others known to offer parts from established makers. While that approach is not a guarantee you won't ever get a bum part, it will increase the odds in your favor.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 05:53 AM
thefarside
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Midwestclubman
While I appreciate that you have taken the time to reply, that is not an accurate statement. The purpose of a t-stat is to block off the coolant from the radiator until the engine is warming up. This is why for some vehicles and t-stat models you will find a recommendation to drill a tiny hole to allow for air bubbles to pass through and escape.
Looking at yesterdays post, I can see why you would say that. I was unclear.

What I was trying to convey to the OP is that T-stats are not simple on-off valves, instead, they modulate the flow between the radiator and the bypass path to maintain the design temperature. Thus, a T-stat never seals flow completely as the OP seemed to believe.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:51 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
Yeah, do NOT buy thermostat housing off Amazon. You'll have no clue what you're actually receiving. Same with HPFP and any other major component... I have a strong personal policy against buying essential components for my vehicles from places like Amazon. Buy from a reputable shop, whether on-line or in person.

If you purchased the thermostat housing from a reputable shop, and are not satisfied with the quality, return it. Sometimes the cheapest isn't always the best option...

ECSTuning (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 10:43 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Amazon can be the wild west of car parts. They don't have the fitment down nor the knowledge of MINIs like people here on the forums and us.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-19-2021, 08:43 AM
Midwestclubman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Briscoec
thanks, I went with the motorad brand off rockauto. I did end up doing the water pump, water tube and the reservoir as well.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:46 AM
Midwestclubman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by thefarside
Looking at yesterdays post, I can see why you would say that. I was unclear.

What I was trying to convey to the OP is that T-stats are not simple on-off valves, instead, they modulate the flow between the radiator and the bypass path to maintain the design temperature. Thus, a T-stat never seals flow completely as the OP seemed to believe.
and as the OP I replied. You are still putting out a half truth. A t-stat will completely cut off flow, to the radiator. It shuts off the path to the radiator and only allows coolant circulation within the engine block while everything warms up.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:50 AM
Midwestclubman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
Yeah, do NOT buy thermostat housing off Amazon. You'll have no clue what you're actually receiving. Same with HPFP and any other major component... I have a strong personal policy against buying essential components for my vehicles from places like Amazon. Buy from a reputable shop, whether on-line or in person.

If you purchased the thermostat housing from a reputable shop, and are not satisfied with the quality, return it. Sometimes the cheapest isn't always the best option...
thank you, I agree whole heartedly. In the end I was just wondering as to what exactly one should expect out of these parts, and really just wanting to avoid more time without a car if possible. I can only get by on my motorcycle or borrowing the wife’s Subaru for so long.

Old 09-22-2021, 07:12 PM
troyegly
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Amazon can be the wild west of car parts. They don't have the fitment down nor the knowledge of MINIs like people here on the forums and us.
I second this and what njaremka said.

ECSTuning (09-23-2021)