Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Startup issues, no leads on possible problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 11:36 AM
AbstractR55
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Startup issues, no leads on possible problem

Hello, my 2013 Clubman with the N16 has been having some issues with warm restarts and cold starts are acting a little weird as well. I'll start with the cold start. The car starts up fine when cold, idle is a little rough but nothing out of the ordinary, the car does not go to a high idle, even after sitting outside over night in 30-40* weather, it just starts up and goes to idle at around 700-800rpm as if the car was already warmed up. The fans turn on almost immediately and they stay on after even a short drive, leading me to believe that maybe the coolant temp sensor is in need of replacement. The car drives fine, doesn't break up or anything under acceleration. But once warmed up, if I shut the car off and come back to it within 10-15 minutes and try to turn it back on, it doesn't really start, it turns over and will sometimes sputter a little bit, but will never actually start, tach shows about 300-400rpm. The car has to sit for 15-30 minutes before I can actually get it to start and drive again. The car has spark and fuel, which is what is leaving me at a loss at to the possible problem. I had this issue fixed 2 years ago when I first got the car, and the dealership mentioned something about the valvetronic being the cause of the issue. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Old 11-23-2021, 07:47 PM
giorgos
4th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
You can monitor the temperatures reported by the coolant temp sensor from within a hidden menu. Check, whether the coolant temperature is similar to ambient temperature after the car has been parked over night. Also check, whether coolant temperature rises constantly after the engine is started.

If coolant temperature is shown as ttt, it means the ECU gets a faulty read out and starts the fan as a pre-caution.

Btw: my N16 euipped Mini idles at around 1200 rpm after a cold start until coolant temperature reaches approximately 25° C (at which point rpm are reduced to normal idle).