Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Driver window forever going up (2013 base model R56)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 08:12 AM
Rigid Conduit
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver window forever going up (2013 base model R56)

I posted this some time ago but eventually replaced the car and did not resolve the issue (I kept the mini but ended up in something else in the mean time).
It has come time for me to sell off my mini in order to help pay for my wedding, but I wish to resolve this issue before selling it so the next buyer does not have a bad experience.
I am about to replace brake pads and the clutch, with that and the window fixed everything will be working fine. I can figure out the clutch (hopefully not to bad, wont be my first) and brake pads are a piece of cake, but this window haunts my dreams lol.

The mini: 2013 base model hardtop (R56)
So what is the issue?

Well my driver side window is constantly trying to close (turn in an upward direction)
This happens constantly, if the car is off and locked, the window will continue turning upwards.
If I am driving the window will try winding up as well.
At no point will the window stop turning, the only solution (if you can call it that) is to disconnect the window motor or the battery.

This means that if the car is off and locked the window motor will continue turning, keys in and car on, still turning. key in car off, still turning. car off and parked for a few months, still trying to turn.
if I press the window switch you can hear it pause for a moment and then go back to turning.
I have some repair manuals but wiring diagrams are super vague, they just show all 5 window motor wires going into the FRM and that is all, does not show me how the window switches are wired or anything else.
The passenger window works fine, central locking is fine, everything else electrical in the car seems to work just fine except the possessed driver window.

This problem almost started a fire. When I first caught it, the door was extremely hot and it smelled like electrical fire. At the time that this occurred, I was not in the car, I parked it, turned it off, went inside, came back a few minutes later and could smell the electrical burn coming off the car, I found the smell coming out of the door panel. I pulled the battery as fast as I could to stop it from catching fire. I will say the window motor was so hot I am shocked it did not melt the door panel.

I spent all night (till 3 am) hunting for better wiring diagrams, people with the same problem, etc. No luck on any of those items.
As for things I have tried (it has been a while since I tried these):

I tried pulling battery for a while and plug back in and nothing.
I don't see any obvious damage in the wires anywhere (that does not mean it does not exist).
I believe I removed the window switches and the motor was still turning, ( i mean disconnecting the set of switches that runs the windows and central locking). Although I have not checked this in a while and cannot be 100% so I am willing to try disconnecting them again. I was under the impression that if there was a short in the switches, removing them would technically remove the short and thus shed light on the possible causes.

If anyone has any info/experience that can help that would be amazing, or even detailed wiring diagrams so I can try and figure it out. I am willing to try any suggestions and tear apart almost anything in the car to get this resolved.
IF I resolve the issue, I will commit to posting it here so someone in the future can have help on this.