Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Coolant leak in water pipe/crossover

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 06:50 PM
BillyMac
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Coolant leak in water pipe/crossover

I have a 2006 Mini Cooper Convertible R52. Standard engine, no turbo. And it sprung a leak. The lower radiator hose was soaked and I put it in the front end service mode to find the leak. The metal water pipe that goes from the water pump to the heater was pretty rusted at the elbow (thanks Mass...) but that's the only thing that I found to be suspect. So I reattached the radiator enough to run the engine with distilled water. And that thing really has sprung a leak! I cannot believe I couldn't find it before taking everything apart.

Here's a video of the leak. imgur.com/a/Ak2KPhJ I'm not sure how well it can be seen but I was able to cover it with my finger and it's the bend of this metal pipe.

Pipe #9 in the below diagram - Water Pipe - Mini (11-53-7-629-401)
The mini host #10 in the image is over $50 as well, so hopefully I don't damage it. I'm not sure what makes that hose so special. It looks like a mini (hehe) standard cooling hose upon initial inspection.

I think to replace this I'll need to remove the battery box, airbox, and possibly the intake manifold as well as maybe the thermostat housing. Has anyone done this that knows how much I have to remove. The rest of the system is dry so I don't want to remove anything I don't need to.

Also - the part appears to be backordered by a long time. The pipe appears solid (rust free) a an inch or two above the elbow. Could a temp repair possibly be to sand it and use JB Weld? Or maybe cut off the rusted part and put a longer rubber hose to the water pump?

Looking for any advice from anyone that's traveled this road before.

Thanks!
Billy

Old 01-03-2022, 05:52 PM
BillyMac
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I was able to pull one from a u pull it junk yard.

I had to remove the intake manifold. There may have been a way to puzzle it out, but I ordered new intake gaskets as that seemed easier. I removed the thermostat too, but I don't think that was necessary. I just figured I would replace it since I was there.