Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

How can someone determine the version of software on a MCS or MC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 07:26 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-01-2005, 03:54 AM
jmoser
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for asking this question properly--I still want to know the answer

Old 02-01-2005, 06:42 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm really not convinced that it can be determined, even by the dealership.

Is there a checksum to be read? Can a "fingerprint" of the software be determined? Can you see the version in one of the storage locations?

The reason I bring this up, is because I've heard of people being denied service on their MINI due to aftermarket software being loaded.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:04 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C'mon, someone must know the answer
I want to know too! :smile:

Old 02-03-2005, 07:07 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I researched this about a year ago and spoke with someone who has worked with the Siemens software for the MINIs, MINIUSA Customer Relations and a Service Manager and Tech at a MINI dealership. If I remember correctly, the following points came out of these discussions:

- BMW issues ECU update distribution packages (usually via CD) that cross model lines. Thus, V.?? may contain the applicable updated code for a 330i, M3 and a MINI MCS all on one CD. The Tech's computer is updated with this CD and will "pull" the correct ECU code from the V.?? software update based on the model information within the VIN number.

- The version number that we refer to (V.38, V.39, etc.) is not encoded in the software that is flashed to the ECU. That number is a function of a distribution (non-code related) process. Thus, there is no direct connection between the "V" number and the software version.

- However, each version of each model's ECU software is given a "DZ" number which is encoded in the software. Think of the DZ number as a "serial" number.

- Unfortunately, the DZ number cannot easily be traced to a V number. The only way to link a DZ number to a V number would be by accessing BMW's internal vendor documentation and ECU software certification information. This cannot be done using the information available to the MINI dealerships, as their computers do not store this detail, corporate-level information.

- The computer(s) used by a MINI/BMW service department (a.k.a.; GT1) must be updated with the new ECU software distribution by the service department itself. BMW will send a CD of the new cross-model ECU software collection to the Service Manager and he/she is responsible for loading it on the GT1.

- Since there is no direct/visible association to a V number within the code, it is only when the MINI is plugged into the GT1 that the currency of the the MINI's ECU software can be determined (I assume via a hidden checksum). And even that process is prone to "user error".

I have heard of folks with an old ECU version being told by the service department they have the "latest" ECU version (according to their GT1) when, in fact, they do not. In this case, the service department had not updated their GT1 with the latest ECU distribution from BMW; the new CD distribution was under a stack of papers on the Service Manager's desk. Thus, an outdated GT1 version reported currency with a MINI's outdated ECU version. Interesting, eh what?

----

The bottom line is that the quality of the business processes employed within the service department will be the key to reliably knowing which ECU version you have.

Understand also that MINI dealers have a private online network connecting them to MINIUSA. A notification of an upcoming ECU distribution will be distributed via that network so the service department will know that a new CD is on the way. Thus, if the Service Manager is dilligent in executing her/his responsibilities, she/he will know an ECU update is coming from MINI and will have it quickly loaded on the service department's GT1.

If you have reason to, you may wish to have your Service Manager check the network notifications (and under the papers on the desk!) to make sure that their GT1s are at the current revision level.

FWIW,

Theo

Old 02-03-2005, 07:30 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, nice report, Koopah! Thanks.

Old 02-09-2005, 03:14 AM
jmoser
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ofioliti
Wow, nice report, Koopah! Thanks.
Ditto Koopah--MANY thanks...just the info I was looking for! Really surprising that there's not an easy identifier of the software version loaded when they flash the ecu--especially with so many revisions! wonder why?