Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Car died :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 04:39 PM
alonewon
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car died :(

Super bummed. Got the car back from the shop on Friday (new brakes & a few other minor things I knew it needed when I bought it last week). I'd only driven it a few short trips (less than 5 miles each). Pulled it out of the garage & into the sunlight Sunday to do the deep interior clean it needed. Checked all the controls (windows, sunroof, etc) and it all worked fine. Put the fob in to get it back into the garage and a bunch of dash lights came up & the car wouldn't start. Thought I'd put the fob in wrong and it stuck briefly in the ignition when I tried to take it out. Figured I'd popped a piece loose, didn't see anything and tried two more times. Got the check engine light & no turnover (can't remember if I got a few clicking noises; I was kind of distraught as I got the Mini after selling my car to pay for some medical bills, so didn't notice everything I'm sure I should have).

I was able to use the fob to lock the car and then checked on it all night long since it was outside & we have a theft/catalytic converter theft problem around here. I'm desperately hoping that the issue is the key fob battery or something similar. I just spent $1650 on new brakes/rotors and fixing some wires/sensors after buying it-really don't have anything left to pay for additional repairs.

Anyway, oddly if I Google I get some results back that indicate it might be the fob, but when I search here no one seems to have ever had this issue. FWIW, I have zero car/engine knowledge. I'm more of a woodworker/builder type of gal than mechanically inclined.

Curious if anyone else has had something similar? Not sure when I'll hear back from the shop. I have a rather large old loaner Volvo in the garage at the moment. I mean no offense, but a Mini it ain't.

Old 03-22-2022, 03:03 AM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
It sounds like a dead car battery to me. A good recharge should get it going again but then invest in the best new battery you can afford.
MINIs need batteries as much as Tesla's do!
PS Check that the keys work OK in the door lock. I hope you have 2 as they are expensive.

Old 03-22-2022, 06:06 AM
alonewon
1st Gear
Thanks for the reply! I'd thought about the battery, but it was replaced just 13,000 miles ago (May of 2019) and the windows, doors and lights still work. If it is the battery I plan on asking for a high end battery, though. From what I see in the forum, that's a good idea. And unfortunately I have only one key, so I plan to invest in a second for backup as I'm thinking that although it's expensive it's worth the investment. Not sure how to get a second key, though. Luckily there is a Mini dealer in the metro.

Old 03-22-2022, 02:42 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
3 years maybe all you get from some modern batteries. Get the H6 size for the R53, not the H5 that some catalogs suggest.
Try MINIofPeabody for keys - www.MINIPeabody.com Electronic switch cleaner or a little WD40 will get the door & ignition locks working nicely.

Old 03-22-2022, 05:16 PM
alonewon
1st Gear
It was the battery. Apparently it was a nice high end BMW battery, but didn't even make it 3 yrs (and only 12,290 miles). It's possible that the car sat for some time-hard to tell for sure (only 6,217 miles in 18 months, but I only drove the vehicle I had before this 3,300 miles in 14 months and had no problems ). I asked for the best battery they can get, so I'd better be set now! I'm in MN and called our only Mini shop-first he said the fobs run $185-$260 depending on year and features. Then he quotes me $245 even though it's base with no extra features and a gen 2. Not seeing a lot of options as the only key I have is of course 11 years old, so I'll bite the bullet as soon as the title is transferred.

Crossing my fingers that I'm good to go now! I think it needs to know I'm giving it a good, loving home so I'm getting a Mini specific phone holder and keyring to demonstrate my commitment to the relationship

Old 03-22-2022, 07:19 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Use the forum Search to find "replacement key".
Here's one from yesterday: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-new-fobs.html

Old 03-22-2022, 09:29 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Welcome to the world of MINI motoring. As hinted at, replacement keys require proof of ownership and VIN. Have fun with your new to you MINI. These li'l guys are not driven 'em and forget 'em grocery getters, they do require regular periodic service.
One thing no one has mentioned though: "Pictures, dammit, pictures! Without pictures, it didn't happen."

Old 03-23-2022, 06:16 AM
alonewon
1st Gear
Oh, thanks. I'd been searching for key fob so I'll switch it up and see if I can find a less expensive place to get a second key.

Old 03-23-2022, 06:20 AM
alonewon
1st Gear
Yeah, the dealer I bought the car from is extremely laid back, so it might be a little while before I can get the proof of ownership (sounds like the loan docs might be ok-giving that a shot). And yes! Hoping to get it back today and then I plan to take pics as I'd just finished detailing the inside when it died (oh, the prior owner showed it no love-food particles stuck to levers/***** and actual green M&Ms in the glove box, ha). It's a beautiful blue and the inside is in good shape under all that gook. I take very good care of my vehicles so it'll be well maintained going forward

Old 03-23-2022, 11:00 AM
Josh Falk
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by alonewon
Yeah, the dealer I bought the car from is extremely laid back, so it might be a little while before I can get the proof of ownership (sounds like the loan docs might be ok-giving that a shot). And yes! Hoping to get it back today and then I plan to take pics as I'd just finished detailing the inside when it died (oh, the prior owner showed it no love-food particles stuck to levers/***** and actual green M&Ms in the glove box, ha). It's a beautiful blue and the inside is in good shape under all that gook. I take very good care of my vehicles so it'll be well maintained going forward
When I bought a second key from the dealer in West Chester PA, they were fine with the temp registration from the seller (as long as it has your name on it) , VIN of the car, and a driver's licence. I also just got the fob (not the valet key) to save $50 and got a $5 uncut version on eBay to hook the fob to my key chain. I have never once used the valet key to unlock in 1.5 years of owning the car. $180 all in for the new fob.

The following users liked this post:
alonewon (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 07:50 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Josh
You should use the key in the door lock from time to time. It can rust or freeze up - if the fob stops working for whatever reason you'll need to be able to get into the car.

Old 04-02-2022, 03:41 PM
alonewon
1st Gear
Working great w/new battery

Thought I'd have to give up my home remodeling projects going from an SUV to the Mini, but I seem to have found a project AND it fit in the back! Bought a cute cabinet to modify into a fireplace. Mostly done-removed the doors & shelves & added the insert- just need warm weather to cut down one of the doors to make a top panel above the insert in the cabinet. I knew I could fit quite a bit in the Mini, but happy to have confirmed! And the Mini is doing great with its new battery-no additional issues. Crossing my fingers that I've got myself a nice reliable little car that was super affordable & really fits my personality. Eventually I hope to have the minor front end damage repaired, too.