Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2010 R55 Starter Engages but No Crank: Maybe a Short?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 06:42 PM
HerrGruyere
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 R55 Starter Engages but No Crank: Maybe a Short?

Hi!

I’ve been researching this like crazy, but I can’t seem to get to the bottom of this. I have a 2010 Clubman S with an auto and about 82,xxx on the clock. Battery is roughly three years old maybe and it’s a Precision Automotive 48-7 (if that matters - it’s an off-brand).

I’ve had the car about a month with no issues. Last week, I had a struggle start (like a low battery) but I attributed it to a cold morning first start. Two days later, I went to start but I got nothing. I hit the start button, but it just clicks/engaged the solenoid and moves a quarter revolution. I tried a couple more times with the same result. Odd things happen, too: the window goes down just a little so you have to reset it; two times the radiator fan came on and just ran; the radio presets and audio settings remain unchanged; and, the airbag light for the passenger seat is on (probably unrelated). However, if you give it a minute or two, it’ll start up like nothing ever happened… sometimes.

In the meantime, I can jump it and it’ll start. I’ve left the negative cable unhooked overnight to preserve the battery, and that allows it to start perfectly. Again, the radio presets are unaffected.

Tonight, I got it home and cleaned out the radiator fan relay and the aux fan fuse, and I unplugged the radio fuses as well as the headlight washer fuse (I read that was an issue for other folks). I had the funky start issue after unplugging the radio, and this was like 30 minutes after I got home. For what it’s worth, the radio turns on regardless of ignition status/position, doors open closed, car locked and secured, etc.

I’ve been thinking it’s a parasitic drain, but I’m thinking it might be a short or just a crappy battery. Before my multimeter died, the voltage at the battery was about 12ish with the car off and close to 14.5 with the car running. Measurements are vague because it’s an old analog one from Radio Shack. I cleaned the ground to the chassis on the passenger side of the car by the shock tower, cleaned the ones near the HPFP, cleaned the battery terminals. I only think it’s a short because the battery area was wet after some rain, and the cover to access the terminals does not stay flush because someone cut it. I sealed it with some flashing tape. There is no water and has never been water inside the vehicle after a rainstorm, so I’m ruling out the footwell module.

Otherwise, it runs like a champ. No stalling or stumbling, and fun as hell. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by HerrGruyere; 03-21-2022 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:06 AM
HerrGruyere
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For anyone wondering, I got a new battery which seems to have solved the issue.