Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Flywheel locking pin position

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2022 | 02:16 PM
mike_miniman
|
1st Gear
Flywheel locking pin position

Hi - I have a 2007 MCS that I just purchased and the flywheel locking hole seems to be in the wrong orientation. Previous owner said he recently installed a new clutch and flywheel. When I check the orientation through the bell housing, the hole lines up when all cylinders are at halfway down the cylinders, but #1 is falling. I fear I may need to remove the trans and see what the previous owner did here, because I believe the locking pin is supposed to be engaged when cylinder #1 (closest to timing chain) is RISING. Can someone please validate, or guide me to a resource about this? Thx!

Old 03-31-2022 | 02:18 PM
Briscoec
2nd Gear
Not sure you need to

The flywheel can only go on one way. There is a line up hole or pin on the flywheel, don't remember exactly. It's more likely that the timing is off. When pistons are at 50% the pin should lock. Then..... address the cams.

Old 04-01-2022 | 12:09 AM
mike_miniman
|
1st Gear
Yes there is an alignment hole in the flywheel and a dowel in the crank. In theory you line things up when you install the flywheel. In my case (and I just finished tearing the flywheel out to solve this) the flywheel was installed by previous owner 180 deg out. The dowel in the crank made a very nice dent and witness mark in the flywheel, 180 deg out from the machined hole intended for the dowel. WHY??? The things people do... So now I rest easy knowing the solve is to reinstall the flywheel correctly, put gearbox back back on, re-install subframe and exhaust, re- assemble engine, and then I will be able to time the engine correctly because I will be able to lock the pistons in their proper orientation relative to the cams when I install the timing chain. All do-able, but MAN it's a lot of additional work to get it right. I've learned a lot and the car is for my wife, so its worth it.

Old 04-01-2022 | 06:21 AM
Briscoec
2nd Gear
You did that with engine in car

Oh man.. having pulled the engine for a rebuild. I realize that to work on tranny, pull the engine. I think the hardest for me was separating the CV axle on the left side. I had to cut the boot, which was a good choice to replace while there. No matter how I turned it or what I pried it with, there was no budging it, out of the C clip grasp. Even out of the car it was challenging.

Old 04-01-2022 | 12:46 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
What a lazy technician It amazes me that someone would go out of their way to install a part wrong... To install a part that clearly has been designed to NOT go on wrong, and to install it wrong. I'm glad you figured it out. I'm sure you're really glad you didn't have to pay a mechanic to figure it out.