Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

R55/N14 valve cover crack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 02:27 PM
jtara
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R55/N14 valve cover crack?

YAVCS (Yet Another Valve Cover Story...)

I've gone completely around the world once with my cooling system leaks, starting with cross-tube, visiting all the usual suspects one by one as leaks advanced to the next weak spot (at least once the mechanic replaced two things) water pump TWICE (second time on warranty with genuine Mini part) and finally all the way back to the second cross-tube replacement. (This time with genuine Mini cross-tube, last one was 3rd party, so no warranty...)

On the last repair, I failed to insure that the mechanic used a new valve cover gasket, and of course he didn't. Also, I think there is a crack on the passenger side, but hard to see. So, pretty sure I'm going to need a new valve cover again.

I have a cheapie MostPlus valve cover - it was fine until the removal/reinstall, but think this model might be out of stock.

I want to verify that what I think is a crack is a crack. See photos.

Not so visible in photos, but there is the usual oil film on surfaces, which I assume is from gasket and/or crack?

It makes a scary amount of smoke from under the hood if the car has been parked for a while, which seems strange. It burns off, then good for a bit if driven. Also, less likely to leak/smoke in warm weather than cold. I clean off the top of the VC and keep it to short local trips.

Also, I do need to replace the "bow" or clip for the hose on driver's side. I figured this is just to keep the hose from coming out, but... does it also deflect oil? Didn't seem important, maybe it is.

Would love any feedback on what more affordable valve covers are good and more importantly available. Or, am I stuck with genuine Mini?

I stumbled across an aluminum one on eBay at a reasonable price. Any experience with these? I'm sure a well-made one could perhaps solve this problem for good. I would surely like to avoid that horror scene I just saw here of the VC that melted all over the valves...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373992777399

See photo below in case listing disappears.

Very difficult to get a clear shot of where I think the crack is. Maybe just a bad seam. It's on the raised part that covers the PCV valving system, on passenger's side.

Is this a crack, or just a rough edge not to worry about?

Overview. Red circle at left is where "crack" is. Red circle at right is hose with missing clip or "bow"