Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Axle Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 03:42 AM
Kibbis
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Axle Installation

Hello everyone.
I was having a leak at my outer cv seal on the passenger side. When I went to remove the axle I noticed about a quarter inch gap between the dust shield and where the axle spindle goes into the transmission. I thought maybe something was wrong with the axles so I got the cardone. One at RockAuto. Installed it yesterday and there's still a gap between the dust shield and the transmission. I'll attach a picture below. Is this something I should be concerned about? Is there anything else I should be looking at as to why they're such a gap? I would think the axle should push all the way in until it stops, but if I do that the carrier bearing mount does not line up correctly. When driving there's no vibrations or weird sounds so it doesn't seem to affect performance. Drivability but it just seems kind of odd that it doesn't push all the way in.
I did watch mod mini video on it and his pushes all the way in. Maybe I'm just being overly cautious. Open to suggestions.

Axle not seeming to push all the way in so the dust shield meets the trans.

Old 08-22-2022, 06:36 AM
geolemon
2nd Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It should push all the way in.
I just replaced mine, there's a spring clip on the end that works as a detente. It might be that Cardone spring clip is a little stiff, but even the axles I bought I had to wiggle and thump on a bit to get that end to click in fully.

In my case, when I had mine apart my strut and hub were disconnected from the lower control arm, so i put the outer end in the hub and could just yank yank yank the hub inwards until it clicked in. But if yours is already fully reassembled you might need to try a strap wrench (not sure it'll grip it enough) or loosen that hub nut and tap it with a hammer.

That whole black assembly the inside boot is tied to allows the axle to move fully, there's basically three big grooves in it - so I'm not surprised you can drive fine, but there's a risk that the axle could begin rubbing the inside of that black cup, and a risk the unsecured axle end could work it's way out. So I'd say it's worth the effort to make sure its clicked in.

The following users liked this post:
bratling (08-24-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 07:30 AM
Kibbis
2nd Gear
Thanks for the response.

I can push it all the way in, but then the mount for the carrier bearing on the shaft no longer lines up with the block and I can't mount it. Does that make sense? It's between 1/4 and 1/2 inch off. Everything else seems to line up OK, I just can't push it in any futher, doing so I can't line up the mount for the 3 bolts. Both the old and the new axle have that issue.

The bearing on the axle shaft shouldn't be moved correct?

Old 08-22-2022, 03:41 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
For the passenger side axel, it will only go in so far due to the intermediate bearing support bracket. As long as it engages with the differential and the bearing bracket mounts up, the axel is in. Also, as long as there is a seal on the gearbox case, that dust shield is just a deterrent

bratling (08-24-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 03:44 PM
Kibbis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
For the passenger side axel, it will only go in so far due to the intermediate bearing support bracket. As long as it engages with the differential and the bearing bracket mounts up, the axel is in. Also, as long as there is a seal on the gearbox case, that dust shield is just a deterrent

So the.gap between the trans and lip of the axle where it would stop is ok? Seems kind of weird to not push all the way in. I watched mod minis video and his engages all the way in.

​​​​​​

Old 08-22-2022, 06:04 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Received 327 Likes on 227 Posts
If it is not leaking. You are fine. Just use a small hammer an tap on the shield an rotate. The shield can slide on the shaft. They are not hard fitted to the shaft.

Old 08-23-2022, 08:26 AM
Kibbis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by shrevemini
If it is not leaking. You are fine. Just use a small hammer an tap on the shield an rotate. The shield can slide on the shaft. They are not hard fitted to the shaft.
I know they can be removed but free sliding doesn't seem right. From everything I read it's tapped.on with a hammer to the axle flange that goes into the trans.

Either way I returned the axle and will try to get an OEM. I'm reading too many horror stories on the aftermarket axles and them not lining up right.

geolemon (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 04:14 PM
geolemon
2nd Gear
I wouldn't feel right if it didn't click in either.
I didn't buy an OEM axle, I used the exact brand in the Mod Mini video... Mine clicked all the way in on replacement.
I agree yours seems off - maybe one axle was too short - but that's a LOT too short. Definitely the right move to return it if it didn't fit.

bratling (08-24-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 05:22 PM
Kibbis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by geolemon
I wouldn't feel right if it didn't click in either.
I didn't buy an OEM axle, I used the exact brand in the Mod Mini video... Mine clicked all the way in on replacement.
I agree yours seems off - maybe one axle was too short - but that's a LOT too short. Definitely the right move to return it if it didn't fit.
I may just get the same one. I hate that you have to get the pair though. My driver's side is fine.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:41 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Just for clarification, the left side axel (driver’s side in the US) clips into the transmission with the circlip on the axel splines. The right side axel (passenger side in the US) does not use the little clip on the end of the axel. The passenger side axel is held in place by the bearing bracket that mounts to the engine block. So, as long as the axel engages with the differential and the bearing block mounts to the engine, the axel is secure. Also, as long as the gearbox has an axel seal and doesn’t leak oil, you shouldn’t have any issue with gearbox contamination. That “dust finger” is a secondary protection for the gearbox seal.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:57 AM
Kibbis
2nd Gear
Just for clarification, the left side axel (driver’s side in the US) clips into the transmission with the circlip on the axel splines. The right side axel (passenger side in the US) does not use the little clip on the end of the axel. The passenger side axel is held in place by the bearing bracket that mounts to the engine block. So, as long as the axel engages with the differential and the bearing block mounts to the engine, the axel is secure. Also, as long as the gearbox has an axel seal and doesn’t leak oil, you shouldn’t have any issue with gearbox contamination. That “dust finger” is a secondary protection for the gearbox seal.
This is just speaking for the passenger side. So far the drivers side is fine, although I probably shouldn't have said that.

I know the carrier housing is what holds the axle in place, but it just seems off not pushing it into the flare stop on the axle itself. Maybe it's fine, but I don't trust it enough to roll with it.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:03 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
If you still have the old axel, just compare the length between the bearing bracket and the end that goes into the transmission. If they are the same length, then it is seating the same amount.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:40 AM
Kibbis
2nd Gear
If you still have the old axel, just compare the length between the bearing bracket and the end that goes into the transmission. If they are the same length, then it is seating the same amount.
I don't think the axle I took out is an OEM axle. It lined up almost exactly the same way as the one that I was putting in and had the same gap. There was definitely some work done to this car before I bought it but I don't know exactly what.

Old 08-24-2022, 08:48 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by Kibbis
I don't think the axle I took out is an OEM axle. It lined up almost exactly the same way as the one that I was putting in and had the same gap. There was definitely some work done to this car before I bought it but I don't know exactly what.
OK, but did you have issues with the axel in the transmission? If not, then compare and install. Done.

Old 08-25-2022, 08:02 AM
geolemon
2nd Gear
...There was definitely some work done to this car before I bought it but I don't know exactly what.
Maybe they added the rare "shift the engine to the right by 1 inch" motor mount mod

Kibbis (08-27-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 08:12 AM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Received 327 Likes on 227 Posts
What year an model do you have. 5 or 6 speed or automatic. Midlands or getrag manual transmission?

Old 08-27-2022, 09:28 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 505 Likes on 418 Posts
Originally Posted by geolemon
Maybe they added the rare "shift the engine to the right by 1 inch" motor mount mod
Not sure if the axles would physically fit into each transmission, but the Aisin auto R53’s actually have this “mod” with the engine sitting closer to the passenger side. Makes a SC pulley installation or tensioner replacement more difficult due the reduced clearance between the frame rail.

If this is a manual transmission, maybe Kibbis was sent the wrong part and received the shorter axle for an Aisin auto.

Old 08-27-2022, 09:59 AM
Kibbis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by shrevemini
What year an model do you have. 5 or 6 speed or automatic. Midlands or getrag manual transmission?
6 spd manual.

I got a new axle. The one from the more recent mod mini video and it fit perfectly!

shrevemini (08-27-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 10:33 AM
Zsm
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
6 spd manual.

I got a new axle. The one from the more recent mod mini video and it fit perfectly!
Nice. One thing I noticed with the aftermarket axles is the size of the outer boot. They are a little larger and found out the boot will touch the bolt right above where the axle boot lives (passenger side). It didn't take long for the DTA axle boot to get damaged and spray grease everywhere. What a mess! Sucked it up and bought a GKN axle and all is good.