Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

MCS Paddle Shifters??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 06:02 PM
sketchedin
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCS Paddle Shifters??

Okay, before you dismiss my outrageous question, let me explain. I recently had a gap in my growth plate in my hip. To solve the problem, a screw was surgically inserted to pull the gap together and prohibit my hip from slipping out. Too bad that didn't take, because the screw broke (as you can tell, that doesn't happen very often). So, a second surgery attempted to repair the broken screw and the hip. The old screw is still in there, and I have two new screws holding the hip. Trouble is, the new screws are hurting and I am not allowed to drive my MCS due to the clutch because it may cause another break! Worse case scenario: I have a chronic hip condition that inhibits me from driving my 2002 MCS. Are paddle shifters even close to being an option? Is there any possible way that I could still manually shift, if need be, with out using my leg? Automatic is outta the question, I would rather buy a Twin Cam. Thank you for your help and expertise.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:18 PM
CooperSdriver
3rd Gear
As an option for 2005, you will be able to order the automatic transmission that comes with paddle shifters. I know you said you wouldn't go for an automatic, but so far all i've heard is good reviews about it. I heard the the tranny is very sporty. The shifters is the best part about it, that might help make that decision.

Danny

Old 01-18-2005, 07:34 PM
sketchedin
3rd Gear
What about on an 02? That's what I have.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:51 PM
MrV
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CooperSdriver
I know you said you wouldn't go for an automatic, but so far all i've heard is good reviews about it. I heard the the tranny is very sporty. The shifters is the best part about it, that might help make that decision.

Danny
Hey Danny. What reviews ? I didn't know anyone had driven this yet ?

Old 01-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Prw3
3rd Gear
I picked up a brochure from the dealer last time I was there and it was all about the new LSD and tranny for 2005, there was a pretty good write up with pictures of the steering wheel with paddles but what caught my eye was the wheel shown was the standard two blade style and not the newer three blade with the play station like buttons. The paddle buttons where just below the thumbs rests on the sport style wheel and seemed to be more of a thumb button then a paddle on the back side of the wheel. Maybe the paddle cars will come with the more popular two blade sport wheels.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:31 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sketchedin
What about on an 02? That's what I have.
So sorry about the hip problems, sketch! You may have to sell the MCS and order a new '05 MCS with the paddles. Heal up fast and thoroughly!

Clover

Old 01-18-2005, 08:38 PM
sketchedin
3rd Gear
Thanks Clo!! I don't know if I could ever part with my MINI, such rich history together. sniff sniff

Old 01-18-2005, 09:00 PM
kibosh
2nd Gear
Is there any possible way that I could still manually shift, if need be, with out using my leg?
Yes, it is possible to shift without the clutch in most manual cars. you have to match RPM's nearly exactly, or just ram it home and buy a new tranny frequently

I played around with "clutchless" shifting in my old Honda... what worked best for me was to give just a little gas (don't know how well this will work with the drive-by-wire MINI) and pull on the the stick. It would pop out of gear and then I would feather the gas pedal as I tried to slowly pull the stick into the next gear. Once the RPMs matched it would slide in with just a little grind (or sometimes a lot ). I am sure that if I was more persistant I could have gotten it down without much grinding. I wasn't intersted in putting a new tranny in my Honda at the time so I just went back to the still functioning clutch. However, my friend's dad had the clutch go out in his VW Rabbit a long time ago and limped along shifting that way for a few months until he could afford to fix it... I never did figure out how to get the car moving from a dead stop without the clutch. I suppose on shift per stop wouldn't be too bad for your hip.

Old 01-18-2005, 09:20 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks Clo!! I don't know if I could ever part with my MINI, such rich history together. sniff sniff
I know, dear, but if you cannot clutch any longer, go for the paddles! They'll be awesome!

Clover

Old 01-19-2005, 08:41 AM
addamaniac
4th Gear
I quite often do clutchless shifting in the MINI and its actually quite smooth. Yes, you obviously have to match up the RPMs, thats what its all about. Well, that and knowing how much gas to give it to pop the engine from 2500 to 4700rpm. With practice, it makes driving so much more fun because there's even MORE to concentrate on. But yea, when the rmp's match, the shifter just sliiiiides right in. SO gratifying!

Old 01-19-2005, 09:12 AM
markmatley
1st Gear
Hey sketchedin, sorry about your hip problems...well in order to break good news, YOU can get a MCS with auto trans and paddle shifting. Even with the CVT, the sport shifting is awesome too! Its shipping to Hawaii April this year, dont know about where you live, but it would probably be sooner.

Hopefully you can get the MCS auto. Its still just as fun!!!

Keep up the health,

Matt

Old 01-19-2005, 09:37 AM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't there some method to move the clutch to hand controls like they would do for the gas and brake for handicapped folks who can't use their legs. I would think that there are companies out there that do this kind of work. You might look into asking some hospitals or rehabilitation centers in your area about places that do this kind of work.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:02 AM
LombardStreet
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MandaBoo
Isn't there some method to move the clutch to hand controls like they would do for the gas and brake for handicapped folks who can't use their legs. I would think that there are companies out there that do this kind of work. You might look into asking some hospitals or rehabilitation centers in your area about places that do this kind of work.
Don't know how many of you are old enough to remember these, but there was a while when VW was offering Beetles with a "semi-automatic" transmission. (What - about 1968? 69?) You'd put your hand on the shift **** and the clutch would disengage. Shift, and let go of the ****, and the clutch would re-engage.

There was some sort of switch in the **** that sensed pressure and would operate - a solenoid, maybe? Maybe there's some sort of aftermarket thing like this that can be installed, and I think MandaBoo's suggestion of tracking down shops that modify cars for the handicapped is probably a good place to start.

As a side note: resting your hand on the shift **** is a no-no in most cars. That little bit of weight travels down the linkage and puts pressure on the shifting arms inside the gear box. My wife's Healey mechanic showed us a transmission with surprisingly bad wear on this part, and that was the cause. (This probably isn't a problem with our MINIs' cable operated shifters, but I try to keep my hand off the **** just in case.)

A-n-y-w-a-y - one of the guys in my dorm in college had one of these VWs, and boy, was that a great way of teaching you to keep your hand off the freakin' ****! Had a few very embarrassing moments in that car!

Old 01-19-2005, 10:26 AM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MandaBoo
A little Google search, and the answers come pouring in! I didn't look too carefully, but this might be of interest:

http://www.accessunlimited.com/drive...rivematic.html

Drivematic: Automatic Clutch System for Manual Transmission Cars

The Drivematic system can be installed in any domestic or foreign vehicle and can be easily transferred from one vehicle to another, incurring only labor and minor hardware costs.

Good luck!

Old 01-19-2005, 02:09 PM
USAMINICOOPER
3rd Gear
bee1000n A little Google search, and the answers come pouring in! I didn't look too carefully, but this might be of interest:

That was a very clever idea and was kind of you to do the research.

As I read through this Driveauto clutch system, All was excellant untill I read this. Might be a problem for the small size MINI.

: ALTHOUGH THERE ARE SOME VEHICLES WHICH PRESENT SEVERE SPACE LIMITATIONS OR AN EXTREMELY HARD TO OPERATE CLUTCH*, VIRTUALLY ALL MANUAL TRANSMISSION VEHICLES, FROM TRACTOR TRAILERS AND VARIOUS TYPES OF HEAVY EQUIPMENT TO SEDANS AND PICKUPS, CAN BE OUTFITTED.

Old 01-19-2005, 02:32 PM
sketchedin
3rd Gear
WOW! Thank you so much for all of your help! I am in awe. This is the greatest e-community ever!

Old 01-19-2005, 05:14 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
WOW! Thank you so much for all of your help! I am in awe. This is the greatest e-community ever!
Happy to help. Hopefully that company or one like it can set you up. Keep us posted!

Old 01-22-2005, 03:02 PM
USAMINICOOPER
3rd Gear
bee1000n
Happy to help. Hopefully that company or one like it can set you up. Keep us posted!
Same here..... good-luck

Old 01-22-2005, 03:21 PM
JoeDentist
4th Gear
First, let me say that I am sorry about your condition. Secondly, I just have to say that you may have a screw loose in places other than your hip if you are even considering somehow converting your present car. The notion that you could cheaply convert a stick shift car to paddle shifters has to come from someone with little experience with automotive systems. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and you can't make an automatic tranmission out of a manual. By the time you add the actuating solenoids and electrical system to your car, it would probably cost more than a new one. Cost-wise, trading in your car on a 2005 with auto and paddle shifters is the INEXPENSIVE way to do this. Anything else would be a mechanical nightmare at huge cost, if it is even possible.