Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

modded Mini & service delima

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 05:53 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been going to CONCORD.
I have decided to go to East bay or Mountainview from now on !

Old 01-28-2005, 05:55 PM
JCampos
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DONT go to mountain view. Go east bay or Niello

Old 01-28-2005, 06:17 PM
eVal
6th Gear
I have to add to this - the Niello people are fools, East Bay service is better.

Old 01-28-2005, 06:20 PM
JCampos
6th Gear
Niello wins I took my modded MINI to mtvw for service and it magically accumulated an extra 8.5 miles from the time I dropped it off in the morning to the time I picked it up in the evening

Old 01-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Interesting:

I have been taking my heavily modified 03 MCS to Mini of Concord for over two years now - no complaints.

When I first put my CAI on, the Service Manager politely informed me that they had a policy of not removing or replacing aftermarket parts. Basically, if work needed to be done to any part attached to the CAI, I would have to reinstall the stock airbox or remove and reinstall the offending part myself - I understand that and have no problem with that policy.

After I installed the pulley, the HR Sport rear sway bar, the Milltek Header and Catback my AC took a crap. The comments were basically noted "Customer has installed the following aftermarket parts: blah blah blah - no problems noted, have verbally informed customer of policy of not working on components that have been modified." When I picked up the car, the Tech who had worked on it asked who had done the mods and asked permission to take it for a short spin.

At my last visit, I talked to them about any known problems with the belt tensioner. The Service Manager said that they had seen only a couple of failures and that they would take a look at mine. He noted the aftermarket pulley but also informed me that any problems with the assembly would be covered under warranty. When I pointed out the aftermarket pulley, he stated a reduced diameter pulley of no greater than 15% would not cause tensioner failure. He even quoted his obligation to provide warranty service under the Magnusson-Moss Act.

Frankly, I don't expect them to have to remove or replace my mods if they have to service the vehicle and I wouldn't want them too. What does a MINI/BMW tech know about installing a catch can? I will perform the routine service myself and any things above my ability or expertise (and not related to the warranty) I will take to my mechanic - who owns and works on Minis.

I have heard mixed reviews of all the NorCal Mini service departments. Mountain View and Niello get almost universally bad reviews, SF is middle of the road and East Bay and Concord have their hits and misses. It depends on who you get.

Old 02-02-2005, 06:35 AM
jmoser
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bpago
They refer to me as "The Aftermarket Guy"

On the PCV hose recall they were pissed off because of my catch can.
So the re pluned it and left my catch can hoses flapping around.
Yikes--my dealer told me they DIDN'T put in the new breather hose because my oil catch can tubing was even higher quality than what they would have installed...
and I really squeaked by on avoiding v.39 for the time being...they agreed to wait to install it later this spring (I know I was the only person who they made that agreement with...a customer was in complaining of major problems on her cooper since v.39 and the dealer manager was explaining that it was mandatory and required by law that all cars serviced MUST be upgraded...WHEW!)

Old 02-02-2005, 06:42 AM
jmoser
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Skiploder
Interesting:

I have been taking my heavily modified 03 MCS to Mini of Concord for over two years now - no complaints.

I have heard mixed reviews of all the NorCal Mini service departments. Mountain View and Niello get almost universally bad reviews, SF is middle of the road and East Bay and Concord have their hits and misses. It depends on who you get.
Skiploder, I have had some big complaints about Niello, but at my last service (30K maintenance) they actually gave me great service, including observing my request to NOT load v.39 yet, and a thumbs up on the oil catch can tubing vs. their new breather tube...plus they did some previously denied warranty work (a new windsheild!) Things may be turning around there...I'll still avoid service I don't need, but I'm open to the possiblity of receiving good service there..

Old 02-02-2005, 06:56 AM
jmoser
4th Gear
MSFITOY

Has your dealer given you grief for any mods BEFORE you installed space ship injectors in your engine, or whatever that is under your hood?

If I understand it correctly, you're not concerned that they'll diapprove of your mods, you're afraid they'll dink around and mess it up! (or maliciously sabotage you)

I think you should take a hint from JCampos--give them the keys, let them go for a drive, and they'll be so in love with your car you'll get the white glove treatment I'm sure they've never driven a MINI equipped like yours--is there another one?

Ok, bad idea, I know, but locking the hood will make them SOOO curious...maybe just chain yourself to the bumper so they can't mess about without your watching--just kidding! I feel for you..I worry about my measly mods at the dealer, and mine pale in comparison....but I've been pleasantly surprised....find a decent dealer within a couple hundred miles and go for it

Old 02-02-2005, 07:47 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by jmoser
MSFITOY

I think you should take a hint from JCampos--give them the keys, let them go for a drive
I'm speechless...

Old 02-02-2005, 07:57 AM
jmoser
4th Gear
No Net Etiquette

I'm sorry, that was a very tasteless joke...I didn't REALLY mean to let the mechanic drive your car....but if you strapped them in for a ride, maybe they'd have the same appreciation?

Old 02-02-2005, 08:00 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by jmoser
I'm sorry, that was a very tasteless joke...I didn't REALLY mean to let the mechanic drive your car....but if you strapped them in for a ride, maybe they'd have the same appreciation?
I know what you mean Maybe offer the service advisor a ride