Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

modded Mini & service delima

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 05:40 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
modded Mini & service delima

Am I the only one who under goes major cardiac malfunction evertime I'm faced with bringing in my modded Mini back to the dealer for a recall? I'm about to schedule a V39 refit and am having nighmares about explaining all the excess wiring/solenoids/hoses, etc. A lock has already been fitted...but how do I explain why my bonnet is locked There's no obvious need for them to look under as the OBD is under the dash...I'm not comfortable with mechanics poking under my bonnet because I'm not allowed in the service bay Who knows what they might pull loose and say they can't fix it because it's my fault that I F'up the warranty

Oh boy...do I live with the shitty 38 or do I....shoot myself

Vendors...please figure out a way to execute ECU updates without going through this hell

Old 01-19-2005, 05:50 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Am I the only one who under goes major cardiac malfunction evertime I'm faced with bringing in my modded Mini back to the dealer for a recall? I'm about to schedule a V39 refit and am having nighmares about explaining all the excess wiring/solenoids/hoses, etc. A lock has already been fitted...but how do I explain why my bonnet is locked There's no obvious need for them to look under as the OBD is under the dash...I'm not comfortable with mechanics poking under my bonnet because I'm not allowed in the service bay Who knows what they might pull loose and say they can't fix it because it's my fault that I F'up the warranty

Oh boy...do I live with the shitty 38 or do I....shoot myself

Vendors...please figure out a way to execute ECU updates without going through this hell
The recall is mandatory for some and seems to be OK for the bulk of owners. Some problems have been mentioned on NAM. If you are in California I don't think you have a choice.

Your service dept needs access to your OBD port and your battery so make sure your access to the rear boot area above the battery is clear. I have a subwoofer sitting there so I take it out before going in for servicing. You can ask your dealer if you need to unlock your bonnet for the recall work and if they say yes then you'll have to allow them access. If not then fine.

There were two recalls, one for emissions and to install v.39 software and the other for a breather hose for the PCV valve. The later you'd need to open the bonnet to get at.

I also have a tower strut brace that blocks access to the rear of the engine bay so I have to watch out if I have any servicing of items back there too.

Old 01-19-2005, 05:55 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Thanks Minihune. But I'm worried about their reaction to this

Old 01-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Frisco
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think a hood lock is a good idea.

You are going in the right direction. Now, is the warrenty important to you, or the modifications? I am at this point too, with a 2005 MCS. The Mini is solid, so no fear of failures, so I will continue to modify this Mini.
Good luck and I will follow your efforts.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:35 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
I'm not interested in the warranty. Just thought the 39 might fix my 38 problems as long as it's is a recall issue (no problems before that ). I'm fortunate that I've never had to have warranty work done but ...I've accepted the responsibilities for any blow-ups since day one anyway:smile:

Old 01-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Since you are going in for recall/update work, it should not matter that your mods are in place. Installing the engine software does not entail removing pieces from the engine or needing it to be 'stock'. In the case of 'chipped' cars, the new software will end up overwriting the 'chip' and taking you back to a factory program. Now, if you grenaded your engine and you pulled into the service bay expecting a warranty replacement, once they spy all the creative new plumbing, then you might have a problem. The onus is on THEM to prove that the mods caused the problem.

For most software installs, they park it in a free bay, connect their computer to the OBD port and sometimes an extra booster power source through the cigaret lighter and run the upgrade. If there was a recall in place for your car (say the PCV hose, since that is a popular one) they would want to of course pop the hood and put in that piece, but yeah, there could be some raised eyebrows and notes taken that your car has a flux capacitor under the hood or what have you.

They can't refuse to update your car if you have accessories installed.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:02 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Greatbear
but yeah, there could be some raised eyebrows and notes taken that your car has a flux capacitor under the hood or what have you.

They can't refuse to update your car if you have accessories installed.
Don't forget my Takyon particle emmiter

Old 01-19-2005, 07:04 PM
10851CS
Former Vendor
I too was worried about mods vs warranty but I went ahead with mods such as ALTA PULLEY, ALTA INTAKE, THROTTLE BODY, PLUGS,
WIRES, COIL PACK, SSR COMP WHEELS, MILLTECK SPORT CATBACK, H-SPORT LOWERING SPRINGS, P/S FAN COVER, H-SPORT REAR SWAY BAR, H-SPORT CONTROL ARMS, UNICHIP ECU, WEBB’s STAGE ONE BRAKES,
AUTO UP WINDOWS, VOICE OPERATED GPS SYSTEM, M7 OIL CATCH CAN, UPPER AND MID GRILLS, ALTA SHORT SHIFTER, WHALEN SHIFT ****

Just had my waterpump replaced prior to having 50,000 miles (by about 150 or so miles)

The real trick is to drive a lot and get over 50,000 like me and then you don't have to worry as the warranty is history

Earl

Old 01-19-2005, 07:08 PM
MyPocketRocket
6th Gear
I think the V39 upgrade is only take 1 hour or less. My MINI dealer allowed me to walk in the service area to see the operation, but I said no thank you, I just want to stay in the louge watching Nickelodeon on TV. You may be able to stay with them when they do the upgrade to make sure that they will not mess things up.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:10 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't forget my Takyon particle emmiter
Well, I can see those in your sig pic!

Old 01-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Hey MSFITOY; can you share how you did your bonnet lock? Great idea for nosey dealership monkeys!

Old 01-19-2005, 10:13 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
they will need into your bonet for part of the recall as it replace a hose from the valve cover PCV to a houe the leads down into the engine...... but what says your not allowed back there? there are no signs. just bring safty glass, as that is the only thing they could say. i have been back there a million times, no one really know who should be back there and should not be, so you will not have a problem. it's your car so till they start to make you payments, you can do anything you want.:smile:

Old 01-20-2005, 05:57 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Hey MSFITOY; can you share how you did your bonnet lock? Great idea for nosey dealership monkeys!
Actually, the lock has been designed but not installed yet (oops). As soon as the part comes in, I'll post the install under my "winter project" with pics As for the PCV hose, I'll have to figure something out... THAT PART NO LONGER EXISTS!!! At least, not the way they expect it I have already replaced that hose with M7's and it leads to his OCC then back into the SC. Crap....Maybe we'll just stay home

Old 01-20-2005, 10:36 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
oops. my bad i forgot about the "Can" but still V39 is good. go get it. just stand and watch.

Old 01-20-2005, 10:40 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by agokart
oops. my bad i forgot about the "Can" but still V39 is good. go get it. just stand and watch.
Which way did you go to get into the service area?

Old 01-20-2005, 10:11 PM
dhayashi
2nd Gear
I would avoid doing the update - if you live in Kalifornia - you'll be spared for at least a few years before the recall update needs to be applied since smog isn't needed for new cars now till like 6 years.

I believe recalls are free even past warrenty - but I would check with the dealer on that.

Old 01-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Mini-Driver
1st Gear
I'm not interested in the warranty. Just thought the 39 might fix my 38 problems as long as it's is a recall issue (no problems before that ). I'm fortunate that I've never had to have warranty work done but ...I've accepted the responsibilities for any blow-ups since day one anyway:smile:
I just had the V39 flashed last Wednesday, so fare everything seems ok

Old 01-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
the only door out of the service drive in. go back the hall way till dead ends turn left till you come to some show cars and parts counter, turn right and all the service bays are rgith there.

Old 01-21-2005, 10:34 AM
KiLO
6th Gear
I wouldn't worry about them not updating you to v39.

I would be more worried about them messing around with your flux capacitor.

Old 01-26-2005, 04:01 PM
minibrute
4th Gear
Recalls

My car is going for the v.39 recall feb.1
According to minihune there is a breather hose for the pcv valve recall too. I was aware of v.39 but not the other. The dealer never mentioned the pcv valve so I wonder if anybody here can point me to a place I can find out if there are other recalls I should know about?
Thank you.

Old 01-26-2005, 04:12 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by minibrute
My car is going for the v.39 recall feb.1
According to minihue there is a breather hose for the pcv valve recall too. I was aware of v.39 but not the other. The dealer never mentioned the pcv valve so I wonder if anybody here can point me to a place I can find out if there are other recalls I should know about?
Thank you.
Your dealer should be able to tell you all recalls for the MINI and whether your MINI is subject to those recalls.
See
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ecall+breather
post #4

Old 01-26-2005, 04:26 PM
minibrute
4th Gear
Thank you minihune

Thank you sir, that was very helpfull. I'm taking care of this recall stuff so I can go visit Helix for the 19% pulley, bigger injectors and giac software. I'm hoping to stay away from the service department after that for as long as possible.

Old 01-26-2005, 09:48 PM
ToyWrench
Neutral
Recalls

Yup, they are going to need to go under the hood to discover the lack of need for the hose. Looks like you have a ton of plumbing mods going on. But the real reason they need to get under the hood is to place those ugly unsanitary recall stickers under there.

p.s. Don't mean to hijack but thanks for the info on the 400cc injectors. They are painted so I am still going to need numbers.

Old 01-26-2005, 11:06 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dealer just doesn't "get it"

They refer to me as "The Aftermarket Guy"

On the PCV hose recall they were pissed off because of my catch can.
So the re pluned it and left my catch can hoses flapping around. The said they had to do it "or else". Funny thing is the didn't plaster any stickers on me. The answer I got when asking about it is that they had checked off thay necessary item on my VIN record. It only took about 2 min at home to reinstall the hoses were I wanted them. By the time I do need a smog, The local dude probably won't even notice.
On my Mini 1 service (aprox 27,000 miles) I got a bad time again because they changed the cab air filter. Making all kinds of comments about my strut brace and "all the extra wiring and hoses". And so much extra work.
I was instructed to remove it next time.
And a comment about my adaptor for my oil pressure gauge that is leaking.
Well it is NOT leaking but the work order now on record says "Leak at AFTERMARKET ADAPTOR ". I think they are putting this in writing so that if something ever happens they can get out of fixing it.
With my springs & control arms (that I had to change because one failed) the note says "can't properly inspect suspension".
AFTERMARKET Brakes "can't inspect"

Old 01-27-2005, 12:45 AM
JCampos
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bpago
They refer to me as "The Aftermarket Guy"

On the PCV hose recall they were pissed off because of my catch can.
So the re pluned it and left my catch can hoses flapping around. The said they had to do it "or else". Funny thing is the didn't plaster any stickers on me. The answer I got when asking about it is that they had checked off thay necessary item on my VIN record. It only took about 2 min at home to reinstall the hoses were I wanted them. By the time I do need a smog, The local dude probably won't even notice.
On my Mini 1 service (aprox 27,000 miles) I got a bad time again because they changed the cab air filter. Making all kinds of comments about my strut brace and "all the extra wiring and hoses". And so much extra work.
I was instructed to remove it next time.
And a comment about my adaptor for my oil pressure gauge that is leaking.
Well it is NOT leaking but the work order now on record says "Leak at AFTERMARKET ADAPTOR ". I think they are putting this in writing so that if something ever happens they can get out of fixing it.
With my springs & control arms (that I had to change because one failed) the note says "can't properly inspect suspension".
AFTERMARKET Brakes "can't inspect"
what dealership is that?! go to niello if youre in that area. I go to Mountain View, but I have only been in there with a chip, intake, and pulley.... I dont even want to know what theyll do when they open up my bonnet now

Where did you get that hood lock MSFIT? Hune, what do you mean you dont think people in CA have a choice?? Choice about what? I havent been notified of any recalls or anything to date

Quick Reply: modded Mini & service delima