Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

cold weather complaints

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 11:12 AM
kb
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold weather complaints

I bought my cooper s in Northern California and a year later moved back to Canada. I am now experiencing no end of problems with things freezing up in cold weather.
The car went into the dealership for a winter tune-up before the first snow fall, but so far it has been into the shop 3 times because the driver side door is frozen shut. I have to climb in and out of the passenger side. The door parts have already been replaced once and are on order for another try. Apparently it is a known issue that water/snow/salt is getting into the driver side mechanisms. Anyone know why only the driver side door is so susceptable?
The car has always started but at -5F it gave notice that it was not happy. I did ask about getting a block heater installed but the boys at the service department said it would not be necessary.
The last on the list so far is that my windshield fluid refused to dispense (yup, the resevoirs were full with de-icing windshield fluit) at the -5F, even after we were well warmed up. Is this an issue with the motor for the fluid dispenser?

Any help from out there would be really, really appreciated!

Old 01-20-2005, 11:38 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
Normal, just your MINI telling you to get back down to Norcal!!

good luck getting that stuff figured out. I'd def. get a block heater for piece of mind.

Old 01-20-2005, 11:41 AM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I garage my Mini - the temps in the un-heated garage are always about 16-18 degrees warmer than outside. However, recently it has been sitting out side my office and the temps with wind chill have been dipping to -10 or so. No problems with the door or washer fluid. But, twice the washer fluid for the xenon lights would not dispense, despite a full tank of fluid.

Recently I had a 5 Series as a loaner. None of the washer compnents worked below zero. Global manufacturing has its merrits, and its pitfalls. One would think a German car would easily handle a little cold...that 5 Series had the flu.

Old 01-20-2005, 01:10 PM
kb
Neutral
don't make me come back there!

I would loooove to be able to go back to NorCal...but in the meantime...I will just have to think warm thoughts and bide my time until I head back over to the more reasonable west coast Vancouver climates. At least my heated seats work!

Old 01-20-2005, 05:01 PM
lotsie
Banned
Well kb,I live outside of Winnipeg,the COLD weather capital of North America.
This is my second winter with my MC.
The door handle issue:The cables may be an issue with lots of freeze thaw cycles,but what is probably your problem is the outside door handles getting snow and ice building up in the levers.The tech. at my dealer figured this out last winter,he then told MINI CA. and they said no way,only a problem with the cables.Well now they admit he was right.The fix is 05 outside handles,they work different.
Now untill you get new handles,and we will see if this fixes the problem,clean the snow out of the handles EVERY time it snows.After brushing of the car,open the door,hold the lever open from below and clean the snow out with the brush.If you see a build up of snow/ice,use a small pointy thing like a pick.
I had the problem after the cable fix,never since keeping the snow out.
If you don't use the passenger door much,snow does not get packed in there as much.Lock deicer will help also.
Cold starting:My MC always starts,even at -45F or C.I have a trickle charger that is always hooked up to the battery,so the car can crank,but it always catches right away.Make sure nothing is turned on when you start the car,heater fan,radio,e-brake on so Day time funning lights are off.Then start the car.When it is really cold,hold the clutch in for 1/2 a minute,then let it out slow,the tranny oil get thick.Stalled mine once last winter.
There is a block heater,costs $260 CND,parts and labour.Get one.
Hope this helps,sorry if it was long,but ya asked eh.
PM me if you need more info on cold weather.

Old 01-20-2005, 05:15 PM
kb
Neutral
thanks for the info! Any and all cold weather info. is more than appreciated...be as long winded as you want. I had experienced some sticking with the door prior to cold weather exposure, so this is just exacerbating the problem. I have been trying to keep the handles as snow free as possible but it is great to hear you solutions.

cheers

Old 01-20-2005, 05:34 PM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't noticed any starting problems or parts not wanting to open, but I am having a mirad of creaks, rattles, and harshness. My 04 MC didn't have 1/4 of the rattles that my 05 has at 1/3 the miles.

Old 01-20-2005, 06:53 PM
shoveit79
2nd Gear
Mc Steering Wheel Squeek

Does Anyone Else Have A Problem With The Steering Wheel. In Cold Weather I Hear This Annoying Squeek When I Turn The Wheel. If Any One Else Had This Problem And Got It Fixed Let Me Know. Or Is It Never Going To End Until The Weather Warms Up
Thanks

Old 01-20-2005, 06:59 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kb
thanks for the info! Any and all cold weather info. is more than appreciated...be as long winded as you want. I had experienced some sticking with the door prior to cold weather exposure, so this is just exacerbating the problem. I have been trying to keep the handles as snow free as possible but it is great to hear you solutions.

cheers
Another option to check out in regards to the door sticking, is to use a good quality rubber dressing (like 303) on the gaskets. It will make it harder for the rubber to freeze to the frame. I have used this method for years.

Scott

Old 01-20-2005, 07:02 PM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shoveit79
Does Anyone Else Have A Problem With The Steering Wheel. In Cold Weather I Hear This Annoying Squeek When I Turn The Wheel. If Any One Else Had This Problem And Got It Fixed Let Me Know. Or Is It Never Going To End Until The Weather Warms Up
Thanks
It must be very difficult to capitalize nearly every word.

Anyways, My Jeep does it whenever it is cold. The problem on that is the plastic rubbing the vinyl. You could try lubing up that area, but it's nver hapeened in my MINI before.

Old 01-20-2005, 07:05 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
my poly bushings' grease has gone frozen! one morning i was workin for 4 hours, parked the car outside, and walked into the store... came out and moved the car downstairs in the heated garage... my rear suspenssion started to make that stupid squeak! squeak squeak.... argh!

Old 01-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Sgt. Pepper
1st Gear
Cold in Columbus, OH too!

The winter here has been mild compared to my old digs of Cleveland. I haven't had problems with freezing parts. I did spray a silicone based lubricant (STP) on hinges and any mechanical parts in the doors. We did experience 0 degree temps this week and I was able to start, open doors and drive it a bit around the neighborhood with no problems. There is a low temperature window washer fluid available. This is a must in winter driving. But your problems may be related to the water and salt brine mixture that flys on the road too. I won't drive Sgt. Pepper in the muck, salt or adverse snowy weather. Too many crazy drivers in Columbus - and too much salt & stones flying - don't wanna scratch him up!!. :smile:

Old 01-20-2005, 07:33 PM
lotsie
Banned
Ok,for those in the real cold.At -45F the oil breathers can ice up,but we get instant oil presure.So guess what,the dip stick opens up to let the crank breath,and oil spews all over the engine compartment.
Lost 1/2 a litre in 2 days.
I've added 1/2 a litre in 45K miles.
Maybe this should go in the rant thread

Old 01-27-2005, 12:49 PM
meb
6th Gear
Nice, I'll look out for that one.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:44 AM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
Prestone makes a washer/deicer fluid. If there's frost on the windscreen it will actually clear it and not refreeze. I've never had the washers fail in cold weather, either.

My cold weather problem is a strange, bitter-smoky smell when I first turn the motor over. Only lasts a few seconds but it concerns me.

Old 01-28-2005, 05:43 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by Veni_Vidi_Vici
Prestone makes a washer/deicer fluid. If there's frost on the windscreen it will actually clear it and not refreeze. I've never had the washers fail in cold weather, either.

My cold weather problem is a strange, bitter-smoky smell when I first turn the motor over. Only lasts a few seconds but it concerns me.
I smell a rich,as in fuel not being burned smell.Maybe it is bitter-smokey,but it is there everytime I start the car cold.As in -5F or lower.Goes away within a minute or so.
Rain-x makes the same stuff as Prestone,does not refreeze,and really seems to clear the grim well.Still put the blue stuff in the xenon washers.

Old 01-28-2005, 06:19 PM
kb
Neutral
I am very, very happy to report that since the last of the new parts were put in, there have been no need to access the cockpit via the passenger seat. All of the points for cold weather starting greatly appreciated (no unnecessary power requirements on for startup, like radio, dtr lights etc). I too have noticed some squeeking with the steering wheel, but it does sound strictly like cold plastic rubbing.
Other than that, the only odd sound is the chattering of my teeth because I am too cold when I get into it in the wee hours of the morning.