Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Head valve replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 03:23 PM
Borjawil
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Head valve replacement questions

07 mini base hatch non S
TIming was done by PO resulted in bent valves, and a broken valvetronic spring. Head is off currently.

1) process for removing valvetronic assembly/valve springs? The springs on IN side are tucked in the head pretty well. And I see there's a special tool need for the valve tronic spring? Any guidance on that would be great.

2) I know on 1st gen minis the non S engine can have the S head swapped on. What about for the second gen? Seems it's easier to find a S head where I'm at.

Old 12-12-2022, 04:11 PM
NoBrand
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Borjawil
07 mini base hatch non S
TIming was done by PO resulted in bent valves, and a broken valvetronic spring. Head is off currently.

1) process for removing valvetronic assembly/valve springs? The springs on IN side are tucked in the head pretty well. And I see there's a special tool need for the valve tronic spring? Any guidance on that would be great.

2) I know on 1st gen minis the non S engine can have the S head swapped on. What about for the second gen? Seems it's easier to find a S head where I'm at.
You can remove the valvetronic springs without the special tool. There's info over on youtube. I just popped the 300 bucks for the proper tool. Makes it much easier and you don't have to worry about getting a spring in the eyeball by mistake when your "DIY tool" slips off the spring.

Can't help with the swapping cylinder heads.

Old 12-13-2022, 06:01 AM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Just a word of caution regarding valve springs. No Brand was spot on regarding the danger a valve spring presents to the eyes if it comes flying out.

But you want to handle the valve springs with extreme care removing them and installing them.Any damage to the valve spring wire can result in a stress fracture of the valve. This ain't good.

So it is best to use the right tool to help remove the spring. To keep the spring from popping out from under an rusty screwdriver and to keep from in any way damaging the spring's wire. And if you have more than one spring out keep them from banging against one. Don't just toss them into an old shoe box.