Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

HELP!!! Newbie with transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 05:54 PM
TurboKitty
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! Newbie with transmission issues

Hey all, got a 2009 mini cooper S with about 72K on it now (had since 64K early this year) and she has developed a serious issue I'm unsure how to tackle. Sorry to be a bit longwinded...

It's automatic model, and up until a week ago had no transmission issues at all. Shifting manually worked fine though usually stayed in D or DSport all the time. But on the way to work I left house (working fine), pulled into gas station and got stuff, came back out, cranked up and put in reverse and it shifted HARD into reverse, then HARD into drive, then struggled shifting gears. Got on highway for 3 minute trip to work, and it struggled to get to speed, then would not get out of 3rd gear once running, and gear symbol with exclamation point appeared. Got to work in 3rd gear alone (i know it was third because i switched to manual to try and shift and it said M3 and would not change no matter what i did). Even coming to a stop and light and taking off, it had enough power to roll, but stayed in that one gear only. Otw home it stayed in 3rd only and would not shift under any circumstance. Parked it at home after 3 miles trip home and have not driven since.

Have p0715 and p0720 codes, along with several misfire codes and coolant thermostat temperature codes. The thermostat codes reference the coolant thermostat housing replacement that seems to be common on these, already have replacement part to try and swap that out, but that has no bearing at all on transmission issue as far as i can tell.

I was thinking, since codes reference output and input shaft seed sensors inside transmission, and I know previous owner did no fluid changes including trans, i might try fluid and filter change by dropping pan, and swap out sensors too, but is kinda costly for those two sensors, and wanted any experience or info anyone might have on similar issue before that could help before i spend money.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
-Shaun

Old 12-12-2022, 11:25 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboKitty
Hey all, got a 2009 mini cooper S with about 72K on it now (had since 64K early this year) and she has developed a serious issue I'm unsure how to tackle. Sorry to be a bit longwinded...

It's automatic model, and up until a week ago had no transmission issues at all. Shifting manually worked fine though usually stayed in D or DSport all the time. But on the way to work I left house (working fine), pulled into gas station and got stuff, came back out, cranked up and put in reverse and it shifted HARD into reverse, then HARD into drive, then struggled shifting gears. Got on highway for 3 minute trip to work, and it struggled to get to speed, then would not get out of 3rd gear once running, and gear symbol with exclamation point appeared. Got to work in 3rd gear alone (i know it was third because i switched to manual to try and shift and it said M3 and would not change no matter what i did). Even coming to a stop and light and taking off, it had enough power to roll, but stayed in that one gear only. Otw home it stayed in 3rd only and would not shift under any circumstance. Parked it at home after 3 miles trip home and have not driven since.

Have p0715 and p0720 codes, along with several misfire codes and coolant thermostat temperature codes. The thermostat codes reference the coolant thermostat housing replacement that seems to be common on these, already have replacement part to try and swap that out, but that has no bearing at all on transmission issue as far as i can tell.

I was thinking, since codes reference output and input shaft seed sensors inside transmission, and I know previous owner did no fluid changes including trans, i might try fluid and filter change by dropping pan, and swap out sensors too, but is kinda costly for those two sensors, and wanted any experience or info anyone might have on similar issue before that could help before i spend money.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
-Shaun
The best to do it check the transmission plugs, those get filled with oil and might short out. Next, check the live data for the transmission temp and shaft speeds. if the transmission overheated, the clutches might've burned.