Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).
View Poll Results: Can she drive the car to work and back.
Yes, monitor the symptoms cautiously.
0%
No, you’ll throw a valve or run valve train without oil.
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

P0015 Exhaust Cam Retarded. Can car be driven?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 12:43 PM
sirmacbain
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0015 Exhaust Cam Retarded. Can car be driven?

My wife’s car recently had issues starting (the weather dropped to -11F) then after I jumped it - the car ran sluggish (wouldn’t rev above 2000) and threw a check engine light. I immediately drove home: replaced the battery, it started fine, runs fine, but it’s throwing a P0015.

After this error, because of the cold, I changed her oil to a 0w-30 and added sea foam (4oz) to the crankcase. I reset the error using a Bosch OBD2 reader. I swapped the exhaust/intake cam sensors and also cleaned off their heads. After about 10miles of driving, without any symptoms the P0015 error popped up again.

I’ve read through the multiple threads on P0015 and will be ordering new vanos solonoids and oil valves. As well as ordering the autofix 7910 code reader (it was said that’s needed to reset the vanos).

my question is: can she drive her car to work in the next 1-2 weeks while I wait for parts?

Last edited by sirmacbain; 12-28-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2022, 04:45 AM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by sirmacbain
My wife’s car recently had issues starting (the weather dropped to -11F) then after I jumped it - the car ran sluggish (wouldn’t rev above 2000) and threw a check engine light. I immediately drove home: replaced the battery, it started fine, runs fine, but it’s throwing a P0015.

After this error, because of the cold, I changed her oil to a 0w-30 and added sea foam (4oz) to the crankcase. I reset the error using a Bosch OBD2 reader. I swapped the exhaust/intake cam sensors and also cleaned off their heads. After about 10miles of driving, without any symptoms the P0015 error popped up again.

I’ve read through the multiple threads on P0015 and will be ordering new vanos solonoids and oil valves. As well as ordering the autofix 7910 code reader (it was said that’s needed to reset the vanos).

my question is: can she drive her car to work in the next 1-2 weeks while I wait for parts?
Not a good idea. I had a car engine experience what proved to be a variable intake cam timing failure. But before this was diagnosed -- I only suspected it -- after turning off the engine and upon restart the engine was fine. Drove it 30 miles home. All was well. Next day on the way to the local dealer and the engine started acting up. With no real drama made it to the dealer. But I would not have been a happy camper had that happened on my 30 mile work commute.

I'm just not a fan of sending any family member -- or myself -- out in a vehicle that is/was manifesting serious issues which could resurface and leave the family member stranded. There is also the concern of collateral damage should the condition worsen.