Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Who here has over 100,000 miles on their original automatic transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2023 | 08:55 PM
JeffInDFW
|
2nd Gear
Who here has over 100,000 miles on their original automatic transmission?

I am just planning for the future. Wondering how many miles I can hope to get out of my 2011 S automatic transmission. I am about to change the fluid (first time) at 76,000 miles. We just bought it back after 8 years with a different owner. SO, come on everyone.....who here has gotten over 100,000 miles out of their original automatic transmission in an S???

Old 01-06-2023 | 06:40 AM
RockC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JeffInDFW
I am just planning for the future. Wondering how many miles I can hope to get out of my 2011 S automatic transmission. I am about to change the fluid (first time) at 76,000 miles. We just bought it back after 8 years with a different owner. SO, come on everyone.....who here has gotten over 100,000 miles out of their original automatic transmission in an S???
Have never driven a car/vehicle with an automatic over 100K miles. Think the most miles I ever put on a car with an automatic was my 2018 Hellcat. I traded it in with 27.5K miles.

But some years ago when I was contemplating getting a Porsche and one which might be equipped with an automatic the techs at my dealer told me the automatics were generally problem free to around 100K miles. Often they said they would not see the vehicle in for any transmission service until the transmission was acting up. A service would be done but often it just seemed to make the transmission worse. The techs didn't rebuild transmissions but the transmission was made by ZF for Porsche (and ZF makes a lot of other other automatics for at least European cars (sold there and here) and every "major" metro area has one (or more) shops quite capable of rebuilding the transmission.

In the case of your car if the transmission is not manifesting any signs of any issues, getting a proper fluid/filter service *now* at 76K miles is probably the best thing (and only thing) you can go to hopefully have the transmission last to 100K miles and hopefully beyond.

Both my current cars: 2022 BMW and 2023 MINI S; have automatics. The BMW has an 8-speed with a torque converter. The MINI has the 7-speed Sport dual clutch transmission which I am really starting to like. My original plan was to just drive this car until an ordered 2023 JCW -- with a 6-speed manual -- arrives, but I have not yet ordered the new JCW. I'm really liking this car. I really don't have room for 3 cars and I don't drive enough miles in a year to really put big miles on a single car let alone 3 of them...

So I might keep the S and not order the JCW. Oh... rats! Now I want the JCW. Oh well, I'll sort this out.

But where I was going with this is if I decide to keep the BMW and MINI S I plan on having both transmissions serviced *early*. At some time and miles *before* the 4 year 50K mile warranty expires just in case either transmission develops a problem early.