Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Heat mixing with cold on manual hvac?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 02:59 PM
Colin Coleman
1st Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Heat mixing with cold on manual hvac?

Hey guys looking to see if anyone can help me out here before i start dissecting the dash. So when i purchased this 01/04 r53 last april i noticed the ac wasnt blowing as cold as i thought it should, it would blow warmer on the drivers side especially in the middle vent and even the passenger side center vent is a touch warmer than the side. Did not think much of it until the summer came around full swing here in indio california and we get temperature readings hitting 120 degrees. Found no leaks in the ac system, hooked up the ac machine at work and pulled the refrigerant and oil twice to see if it was in relation to the charge and didnt solve any of my problems. I ended up parking the car for the remainder of the summer as the heat was dreadful especially with the windows down. Once the temps simmered down in September i decided to take a look inside the vents with a borescope and i found the temp blend door not closing fully on the coldest setting of the **** dial. I have manual climate control and for the life of me cant find anyone with a writeup or video of disassembling the control panel and showing the functioning of how this system works. The only info that has thrown me a bone is a post on here of a member with a second gen r56 with manual hvac having this same problem. His issue was one of the gears skipped a tooth causing the door to not close fully allowing cool air to mix with warm air. Could this potentially be the same issue with the r53 temp blend door not closing fully with the manual ****?

Old 01-11-2023, 12:29 PM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Received 139 Likes on 123 Posts
It’s behind the glove box to the left. Bentley manual has some detail iirc